The Hedge School @ Writerscafe : Forum : How Do You Write?

[reply] [quote]

How Do You Write?

16 Years Ago

What influences you to write?
How do you get your inspiration?

Tell us here!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

It depends on the project. Poetry, I write by sitting at the keyboard and putting my fingers down. :) I know that sounds flippant, but for me, poetry is like breathing. Novels take a bit longer, but I like to start with an idea and see where it goes. I usually don't know the ending...or at least how I will get there. Short stories are the hardest, because they need to be so tightly written.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

my inspiration usually comes from experiences or things I see. Sometimes it's just a concept that I run with, a thought that crosses the mind and builds a treehouse in the corner.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Like Rie, it depends on what I'm writing.  I write in several genres and each process is different, but sometimes something -- usually a poem but occasionally a story or creative non-fiction -- appears already written and I just take dictation.  Other times I have an idea or something seen or heard or smelled or remembered sparks a line or two that then flames up into something more.  With the exception of limericks, most of the time I can't write a poem unless it's inspired by one or more of the above.  Non-fiction assignments are easier and something I can write "on demand" if need be, but I'd rather there be at least a little ember of .... something, even in my academic writing.  Creative non-fiction is like breathing for me, especially pieces inspired by the natural world around me.

I have titles that are decades old that are still waiting for their accompanying stories/poems/pieces to make themselves known, and vice-versa.  When those come together like a long-lost puzzle, it's very satisfying.  So one way I write is patiently!