The Read Me Book Group : Forum : Tuckers Creek by David L. Pric..

Tuckers Creek by David L. Price

16 Years Ago

Please use this thread to comment and communicate on this work.  Remember, you can comment as you go or fill us in when you finish!

Thanks,

Daisha Marie Korth

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hey Readers!

I just wanted to stop by because I think I'm the only one reading Tucker's Creek right now.  As much as I'm loving the story, I'd love to be able to talk to all of your about how great this story is and come up with some theories about where the plot and mystery is leading.  I know how intimidating the length of those chapters are, but I'm telling you, it's totally worth taking a half an hour out of your day to read one.  David's story is so refreshing and different from most of the work you'll find here on Writer's Cafe.  He's hoping to get this book published in the future and is very welcoming to constructive reviews.

I hope you'll join me in reading this book soon.  I'm really loving it!

Jamie  :)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have started Tuckers Creek and I have really been liking it.  In Chapter 1, I thought the transition from the present to the past and back to the present was so fluid and vivid.  The characters have real personalities...and the boys remind me of my own sons.  I also thought the racial side of the problems with the extended family was very realistic and the way in which David let me know of that factor was interesting.  It actually made me replay the whole story to that point over in my head to envision everyone differently.  I think it made the story more memorable that way, to have it run through twice!  I also thought the roadkill truck was very imaginative...even if it was inspired by real events.  You've got to tell us, David, this was all so real so was it inspired by true events?  Or do you simply have an imagination we should all be envious of?

Nice job!  I did notice a set of quotation marks that don't belong if you want to know that.

Daisha Marie Korth

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hey David,

I love the story line very much.  All of your characters are very believable and even loveable!  For some reason, I didn't realize that Stu was as old as he was before the stubble remark.  I noticed a few typo or punctuation errors, but not too many that it was distracting.  One thing that did distract me was that you used the word "and" an awful lot in chapter two.  There were some sentences that could be worked over to omit the "and"s.

I LOVE Johnny's collection in the cigar box.  That is so little boy.  I liked the brief display of raw emotion by Stu about his father being gone.  The whole story is very vivid...I can see everything clearly as I read.

I wish I had a Tinny in my life!

Good work!

Daisha Marie Korth

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

All I can say is...Holy Cow!  This story keeps moving forward.  The success of Stu is remarkable.  I could not imagine having that resposibility as a young adult, but it sure helps to have a great support system.  Dala is a strange cat...I don't really know how to feel about her.  I want to like her, but after Stu's dream I am wondering what other role she might be playing.  The crow is definately a piece of the story that weirds me out.  I don't like them anyway, but the way it won't go away is creepy.  I have my thoughts on where that is going...so we will see what happens!

I did notice some punctuation errors, mostly with conversation, and some typos...most pronounced is the misspelling of the word clothes.  It is spelled cloths all the way through the hurricane scene.

Time to move on!  Hope you are all as interested as I am!

Daisha Marie Korth

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I just finished the second week's reading and I am continually impressed by David's work.  He has an incredible imagination and brings the story of Stu to life.  He has a way of connecting the reader to the character, which is such a great talent.

I'm so glad I came across this group and David.  :)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I just finished reading Tucker's Creek and I absolutely loved it!  David is so talented.  The story was so interesting and and really pulled me in.  The story was great because it wan't typical at all.  It was so unique and had imagination. 

I don't think many people went along with the schedule but I hope that everyone will read it anyway because it was definitely worth the read!  Great job, David!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I also very much enjoyed the story!  I think that what I liked most about the story was how believable it is.  Plot, characters and description aside, I could believe what was going on...that people really act that way, that the south was very much that way ans that miracles do happen to good people.  Great read, thanks for letting us read it and I hope any suggestions helped you out!

Daisha Korth