The Sincerity Club : Forum : Is it 'being an a*s' or just w..

Is it 'being an ass' or just wanting honesty?

11 Years Ago

I think this speaks for itself. Is it really too much to ask people to be honest, or are you being overbearing when you ask that people be honest with you?

Re: Is it 'being an ass' or just wanting honesty?

11 Years Ago

How can asking people to be honest make you an a*s? I think that generally people will be honest. However, now that I have said that, honesty comes in many forms....

I always tell people I want their bite, give me your raw real bite, so I can grow.. that is where I find the honesty.

11 Years Ago

I love it when people are being honest. How are you going to learn if people aren't honest with you? It may hurt sometmes but its the only way you can improve yourself as a person aand a writer.

11 Years Ago

Sometimes the truth can hurt someone so much that you can't tell it--especially if it's to the ones you care about.  In rare cases, some truths can't be spoken . . . especially with family

11 Years Ago

It's not all about being honest. It's about looking at what is there and seeing what it can become. 

If you don't have any way to make it better or want to see it better, then don't comment on it. 

It's not helpful to tell someone their writing is weak or bad, in the same way it's not helpful to tell someone their writing is strong or good.

"This part I didn't understand." "This part really grabbed me." "This part, I think the piece could do without." etc. Those are honest comments that should hurt no one. 

I used to critique people really hard when I was younger, and I regret it. If you don't have anything constructive at all to say, then say nothing. People will know to change up their focus when their writing gets NO REVIEWS.

11 Years Ago

Wow. Strongly put... I'd expect nothing more than a reply like that...

11 Years Ago

I like to assume people will just be honest with me without me having to ask for it. at the same time I feel as though I read people well and won't hesitate to ask for a  more honest opinion. So does the quest for truth make me an A*s, perhaps in some's eye.

11 Years Ago

I think that constructive criticism is really important for any writer, and that is what I hope to get from readers. I always try to review others constructively, if I really can't find anything positive to build on in their work then I say nothing... ;) We should always try to encourage our fellow writers, regardless of their level of 'expertise'. There is always something new to learn for all of us! I don't think I'm an a*s lol