The Tale Of The Playwright : Forum : Trying my hand at a play,

Trying my hand at a play,

15 Years Ago

I have never written a play before, but the format intrigues me.  I was wondering if any of you have come across a particularly good resource for the first time playright, whether it be a book, website, or other type of article.  How did you get going with your first play, and how did it come out?

Jarod

Re: Trying my hand at a play,

11 Years Ago

I'm a stage manager, and I've started writing plays. What I've found that helps is if you actually sit down and read through plays. I like to read musicals more because they tend to have more stage directions in them. Being a stage manager, I love reading the tech bits of a play, so I put a lot of stage directions in my plays, and I underline words to have the actor/reader put emphasis on that word. I try to keep who I'd cast in that role in my mind when I write a character, and then the character takes off. I tend to use the indented actor's strengths influence the character. If you want an example, read my play Opening Night. It's still in the works because I plan on showing it February 2014, but I have the first draft on my profile now. 
Really, every playwright has his/her own style. Some put lots of details in it, and others leave a lot of it up for interpretation. I've seen all kinds of scripts, and they all work. It just means you have to develop your own style that works for you. 

Much luck,
Julia