The Weird Fiction Circle : Forum : Book Recommendations

[reply] [quote]

Book Recommendations

3 Years Ago

I see that writing activity is a little slow around here, so perhaps we should try to get some discussion over reading. Are there any weird fiction pieces of literature that you all have read that you think others who are interested in the genre should look into? Suggestions for some lesser known but still really well written pieces are just as welcome as more classic pieces. 

My suggestion would have to be a personal favorite of mine, Lovecraft's "The Outsider". Although normally Lovecraft writes pieces of horror that have clear plotline progressions, here he makes a departure from the normal to create a more poetic piece. "The Outsider" is an interesting take on surrealism, with no distinct plot and a character who is confused about their identity, that describes some of the most imaginative and fantastic scenery I have seen in literature. It's a short read, and I certainly think should be of interest for those with an interest in phantastical imagery. 
[reply] [quote]

Book Recommendations

3 Years Ago

Indeed, Lovecraft's work contains exceptional imagery throughout. I would agree with you that 'The Outsider' displays exceedingly fantastic (and phantastic?) imagery, I often consider the setting to be that of my own dreams and inner recesses.

As for recommendations, a classic perhaps not yet read by those here may be 'Novel of the White Powder' by Arthur Machen. Contained within a collection, 'The Three Imposters', it is a short story slightly longer than The Outsider. A great read that contains themes of science and existential/unknown horror much like that of Lovecraft's writings. The story premises upon the ailment of the narrator's brother, whom is promptly given a 'white powder' for medicinal use. Soon enough, the brother makes a full recovery, but after continuous dosing finds strange side-effects unbeknownst to all.