Twilight's Disciples : Forum : Surreal Writing

Surreal Writing

14 Years Ago

Do you think that the philosophy behind this style, still has as much relevance today? Indeed, have you ever appreciated surreal writing? Or, do you have any other thoughts regarding this topic?

A fine example of a surreal poem on this website, is "Transformation" by Dianah. She is from Lancaster, and also a member of this writing Group, "Twilight's Disciples".

Did you know, that there is a permanent exhibition of work by the famous surrealist artist, Salvador Dali, in London? It is called "Dali Universe".

Over to you, fellow Group members!

Julian

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

There is no, in my opinion, mode of writing poetry which lends itself so intensely to the unconscious mind. I am wary of categorizing poetry into set "genres". Some writers have set plans when they begin writing a piece, others, such as myself, go into the fire heedlessly. Surreal writing is a sort of tempering flame for the mind of the acute reader, when done properly, the reading as well as the writing I mean. It's a complicated question and deserves greater attention from the younger writers of our present age.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

My question would be what defines surrealism? That which I think of as surreal to another is just a weird collection of words.

A lot of pop culture pieces I read, mainly by authors like Hunter S Thompson and Jack Kerouac, tend to border on surrealism because of the experimental drug use. 'Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas' blew my mind in places.

I've written 'surreal' pieces (many of which have been slated as I wrote them while 'under the influence' of various narcotics/alcohol) and I actually enjoyed being in that state. No different to a hippy and their herbal tea to open up the mind plains.

There was an exhibit in the Tate a few years ago I went to that featured Dali. Was the only good thing on display, half a dead cow isn't art. It's just a dead cow, cut in half.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Why, thank you Julian. Of course i think surreal writing is still important. It can be escapism from reality or seeing the 'normal' world from a different point of view.Some of my favourite artists are Symbolists and surealists. I also love sureal comedy ie 'the Mighty Boosh' and think the world would be a much duller place without it.

Dianah