W.R.I.T.E : Forum : Newsletter #1

[reply] [quote]

Newsletter #1

13 Years Ago

Thanks for joining W.R.I.T.E. I'm glad to have you all aboard. So, since this is the first official newsletter, there won't be any member features involved. However, I plan on aiding a writing quote, some writing tips and some explanations. So, let's get started. 

One of my absolute favourite writing tips was given by Holly Lisle. If you haven't heard of her, or signed up for her tips I recommend that you do. They are extremely helpful and give a lot of insight into writing. Here's an example of one of her writing tip emails called "write for yourself":

"On some level you know this. But that level can get buried
pretty deep in the mire of 'You should write because you're
so good at it,' or 'You owe the world your story,' or 'You're
wasting your talent if you don't do this.'

So right now, let's clear out all that deadwood. You do not EVER
owe anyone your story.

Next point: Writing a book because you're good at it is one
of the worst reasons in the world for doing it.

Doubt me? Okay. How about this? You are the best toilet
cleaner your mother has ever seen. You're awesome at it.
You hate cleaning toilets with every bone in your body. Do
you think you should make toilet cleaning your career just
because you can do it well?

No? Of course not. And for an awful lot of folks, including
an awful lot of folks capable of stringing words together well,
writing is right down there with scrubbing under the toilet
rim in entertainment value."

There's your writing tip! Now for some info on W.R.I.T.E. If you haven't visited my EC forum yet, you probably should. We already have a 'get to know you' discussion up along with one on dreams. I am interested in hearing your opinions on a mentorship program; there's more info in my forum. Also, if you would like the W.R.I.T.E banner, you can find in my forum under "W.R.I.T.E". If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll get you the codes.

I'm always open for any personal discussions with any of you, I can be very chatting. I'm always here to answer any of your questions, so don't be shy. I'm also thinking of expanding W.R.I.T.E to any writing sites online so you can keep tabs on it. Let me know if you're on a writing site and would like to see it there. 

Have an awesome week! 

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you. 
~Ray Bradbury