What's Wrong With Writerscafe? : Forum : Teenage Writers

[reply] [quote]

Teenage Writers

11 Years Ago

Here's the thing with teenage writers. Sorry but you guys are MINORS, there are different sets of rules for you guys under the law and legally you shouldn't even be here anyway, there's a lot of erotica and explicit material here that your parents should be monitoring you reading.

Young Adult fiction is a separate genre of writing, but does exist, and there are young writers on this site that are being permitted to stay. We're going to have to accommodate because they're not going anywhere. I know you kids want to be treated like adults, who doesn't? Every 12 year old likes to think they're 21. But the thing is that you're NOT 21 and we can't legally treat you like you are.

Older teenagers are different IMO, after 16 you've got a pretty good idea about what's going on in the world and don't need to be babied, but 15 and under is really young, we can't just treat young kids like they're all grown up because they're not.

Example of how this has affected WC: I knew a kid who got a bad review from an older user, which he deserved. The user pointed out that his writing was childish, which it was. Another user jumped in to stick up for the "kid" and said kids don't deserve scathing reviews. An e-brawl broke out which contributed to us losing the forums. Kids want to be treated like adults but the fact of the matter is that most of the time they don't write like adults, so we can't give them adult reviews.

That's why I propose a no-bashing rule of younger teenagers. They're KIDS people. Yes we were all kids at one point too but we're adults now, there are age limits on things for a reason. We need a separate level system and a separate review system of younger teenagers.

I propose that we should have to enter our real ages at sign-up, 16+ can read material rated mature, and 15- cannot but they will have access to special Mentor programs we'll set up or something along those lines. The idea is to discourage kids from entering fake ages just to read erotica. No, kids cannot read erotica. It's not for them, sorry. When they get older.

This won't be popular but it's actually going to be in compliance with some FCC standards, I'll look them up and post them. Comments below.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

10 Years Ago

I think this is slightly melodramatic.
It wasn't the kid's fault someone decided to stick up for him...maybe the bashing review helped him/her figure out how to improve. That's just two writers arguing about something that they said.
There are "mature" ratings to warn younger kids about materials, but, yes, probably they're reading more than they should, but that's their decison. I don't think WritersCafe has any right to treat any writer differently on this sight. This is a place where writers can come otgether and be themselves without htinking about age, nationality, or any other kinds of prejudices. It wouldn't be fair or right to instate any anti-teen rules for this site. I'll stand up for their rights on WritersCafe, so you won't be able to get away with any teen bashing on the forums, haha. ;)
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

10 Years Ago

I, being a teenage writer of ALMOST sixteen myself, half agree, but half disagree. I joined this website to get help from older people in the form of reviews and tips. And if someone wants to be harsh on me, that's fine. I knew what i was signing up for when i registered from this site. My only problem is, people think just because I am in the age group, and my writing is somewhat similar, or at least, one story, that I worship twilight. Which is untrue. I've read it, yes. and mostly, it was pretty dumb. Vampires DONT sparkle. haha, but my point is the people need to realize what they're getting into when they join the site.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

10 Years Ago

Well, like the last one, I am a teenager (well, 13) and I joined to get critcal reviews for my book (originally) from older members.  If I want to read erotica that's my choice (though I wouldn't--UUGHHHHH!!) and if you put up age limits kids will just say they're 18 if they want. 

What you're suggesting is basically another form of discrimination.  The fact of the matter is kids don't need to be 'protected' from honest reviews, and that age doesn't determine maturity.  I, for the record, am hoping for the most brutal reviews possible (finally getting my NaNo novel out for revision) and it would just suck if you weren't 'allowed' to give critical reviews to kids of a certain age.

I hope I've made my point.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

10 Years Ago

I agree with the previous posts.  This is the sort of stereotyping that I don't really like.  I do see your point, that some of the younger writers shouldn't read some of the things on here, but that's why the mature warning is available.  I've found through browsing and reviewing though, that a lot of times the "mature warning" really is not needed for certain pieces of writing.  As in, I once read a story that dealt with some type of abuse, and it turned out to be a very good piece of writing.  In that case, I was glad I didn't heed the warnings.

Also though, how many twelve year olds will really get on this website?  Sure, I found this place when I was twelve or thirteen, but at that age I had no idea how to review or add friends et cetera.  I was practically alone on this website.  I hardly even used it. 

And, just because I am a writer who happens to be a teenager doesn't mean that I write purely young adult fiction.  Please, give me a break, I've already exhausted a lot of the adult section of my local library.  When it comes to being a writer, age hardly matters.  Though writing is a craft you can learn, with most writers, either you got it or you don't, to use a cliche example. 

Yes, I do want to be treated like an adult, because frankly, I am one.  Did you know that in the early stages of our country, there was no such thing as a teenager?  Meet George.  At age twelve he was leading a team of men, surveying the American land.  He was a surveyer, at age twelve, and men older than him were following his lead!  He was George Washington.  That's only one example.  There are many more that I could describe.  Sadly though, America slowly moved towards the idea of the "teenager," and today we have ... the teenager.

You wrote, "Kids want to be treated like adults but the fact of the matter is that most of the time they don't write like adults, so we can't give them adult reviews."  Maybe the reason they signed up on this website was to get constructive reviews so that they can improve their work.  A person can't be expected to be perfect at writing the very first time he tries it.  No, he posts it, more advanced writers review it, and he improves from their reviews. 

As I re-read this, I sound a bit harsh.  Well, because at this point, I am a little irked.  Mostly because I've had to deal with things like this a lot.  So again I say that I do see your side of things, but I also wanted to point out that stereotyping teenagers is very discriminating; it lowers our (I'm speaking for all teens) confidence and makes us think that the "adults" of the world don't really care.  Please see it from a mature teenager's view.

But adressing your main idea of putting in a user's real age, I think it's a good idea.  (This may be slightly deceiving, but) I think that at the sign up point, we (as in the moderators of Writer's Cafe) shouldn't tell that the younger writers wouldn't be able to read mature rated writing.  So after they put in their real age and sign up, they are automatically (though unaware) protected from mature writing.  That way, they would think that they don't have any reason to lie about their age.

This was quite a long and in-depth reply, sorry about that, but I hope it helped.  What else can I say?  All of this is simply my opinion on the matter, please don't take it personally.  Take it maturely.  :)

~Lauren

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

10 Years Ago

P.S.  I respect you for being so bold with your opinions.  Sometimes I wish I was like that.  Just remember that there are people out there who aren't as understanding and openminded as others.  Stay true to yourself. 
~Lauren