What's Wrong With Writerscafe? : Forum : Poetry Corner and Story Shelf

[reply] [quote]

Poetry Corner and Story Shelf

14 Years Ago

This goes back to Genre Categorizing.

There are essentially two forms of writing on this site: Poetry and Story.

However, there are more types of stories than just "story," and there are more types of poetry than just "poem." I don't think it's fair to lump all poets together and just call them "poets." Slam poets are different than freeverse poets, if you actually separate them, you'll probably get a whole different personality to sections of the site. This is going back to what I said earlier about sprawling metropolises, even big cities have neighborhoods. We separate the poems from the stories and then separate the different types of poems and the different types of stories from each other, label them, throw them back all together and let them befriend each other according to those labels.

In bookstores, you don't just have shelves upon shelves of books, the sections are labeled, and people go to what sections they want to read a book from, and meet people who like to read similar books. This is just building on similar interests.

I'm not saying separate all writing, thrown them in their own groups and let them not communicate with each other. Far from it! I'm saying label your writing and categorize it in a search engine. We can have a Poetry Corner which could act as an idealized "common room" for poets and a Story Shelf that would be a similar thing for story writers. This is all about helping people of similar interests find each other. Almost like those surveys you do on myspace and stick up on your profiles about who you are and what your hobbies are.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Originally posted by Nicole Hellene

This goes back to Genre Categorizing.

There are essentially two forms of writing on this site: Poetry and Story.

However, there are more types of stories than just "story," and there are more types of poetry than just "poem." I don't think it's fair to lump all poets together and just call them "poets." Slam poets are different than freeverse poets, if you actually separate them, you'll probably get a whole different personality to sections of the site. This is going back to what I said earlier about sprawling metropolises, even big cities have neighborhoods. We separate the poems from the stories and then separate the different types of poems and the different types of stories from each other, label them, throw them back all together and let them befriend each other according to those labels.

In bookstores, you don't just have shelves upon shelves of books, the sections are labeled, and people go to what sections they want to read a book from, and meet people who like to read similar books. This is just building on similar interests.

I'm not saying separate all writing, thrown them in their own groups and let them not communicate with each other. Far from it! I'm saying label your writing and categorize it in a search engine. We can have a Poetry Corner which could act as an idealized "common room" for poets and a Story Shelf that would be a similar thing for story writers. This is all about helping people of similar interests find each other. Almost like those surveys you do on myspace and stick up on your profiles about who you are and what your hobbies are.

.....I don't really understand how this would be implemented.  Are you talking about, when you go to someone's profile all there writing is seperated?  If so, you can already do that with a click of a button to see all of someone's poetry or stories.  There is groups and contests for various people that write differant type of poetry, either realy poetry with rhyming and/or good flow etc. and there is the freestyleists, which shouldn't be called poets, more like emotion reporters.  The one thing in this that I agree with is that we need to have different lables for poetry, it should be a choice between real poetry or "Freestyle"  The rest of what you said is already inplemented in one way or another.