Women Of The Dark Side : Forum : Women of Dark Literature

Women of Dark Literature

16 Years Ago

One of my favorite Women Authors of dark literature of all time is Ann Rice. I always love her dark, Gothic approach to writing and creating her novels of Vampires. I use to tell my self that I am the one whom stole her idea of a Vampire God. But I also use to tell myself that I do the whole Vampire thing in all better than Ann Rice her self. But who knows, I strive on being different I don't want to be like any one else. So my approach to Ms. Countess Evelynn Valkzak is a very different approach. My love for writing is a very different approach to the whole writing and literature thing all together. I love to take an imaginary world and make it all seem so real.

Thats what I did with Evelynn the God of the Vampires along with some insight from Mr. King, I mean Stephen King, the one I call the God father of writing. I learned alot from him like seducing the audience as I do the story telling and writing thing, with Ms. Evelynn the character, I get to do that with her and to learn that trick or two well.

But its good to make your own trade mark, like with my character Ms. Evelynn the God of the Vampires, she is created with her own trade mark, She is the first real life like, witch/ Vampire/ God in a world that is very realistic, and gloomy.
So I hope you agree with me on that, its something very important like the fact to write a very awesome first Chapter to get your foot into the door of a publisher is important too...

Jean Elizabeth Walczak

Behind every successful women there is a successful man. [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I love Anne Rice, especially her older works. I loved The Witching Hour trilogy. The way she detailed the Mayfair family history was genius. As for The Vampire Chronicles, well the first few were all about me being in love with Lestat and him loving me back--oh, what? you don't remember that part? Hmmm...lol.

When she began to write the history of the ancient vampires it was made so believable; you might mistake the stories for someone who truly was from ancient Rome.

And all in all, her vivid descriptions of everything, all boiling down to foliage and architechture, has made her writing some of the best I have ever read. I would have to say she is, in my opinion, a Goddess of the trade. It has been a while since I read anything of hers. I read right up until Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior, nothing against religion, just not my cup of reading tea :D

I came across Laurell K. Hamilton, and then Kelley Armstrong and read a bit of Tanya Huff's work. When I exhausted those resources I found that their just weren't really any more female authors in these genre's. That was when I decided I was going to write. If I couldn't find what I wanted to read, I'd write it! LoL.

I also agree with what you said about being original. Easier said than done. I get very aggrevated when I write something, then sit down to read a book, and find my ideas aren't as original as I had previously thought. Kelley Armstrong's witch books (Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic) really paralleled to many of my thoughts and ideas for my witch story, thus causing me to have to scrap and revise, yet again....

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

HAHA ::biggrin:: Seems that Anne Rice is everyone's fav, cause she mine too! Oh, and the story was that Lestat was in love with me hehe ::suprised:: He was just sooo perfectly written! The Brat Prince, oh sooo gorgous! ::drool:: And the Witches of Mayfair, and the Taltos, they were ingenius.

I also like Anne McCaffrey, though she isn't a horror writer, she is into fantasy. Her Dragons of Pern series had me hooked for months! I was in and out of the library trying to find thoses, and then I just figuared I may as well buy them instead ::cool::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Apparentally, Anne Rice is the Queen of writing.. Well, was. ::cry:: I don't know about all the Born-Again writing. She said in one interview she would not be signing any more Vampire books and would not be writing any more horror/goth at all. Then in another she said I never said that. Of course I still love my characters.

But I have all of the Vampire Chronicles- in paperback, lol- my husband bought me Blackwood Farm when it first came out, in hardback, I read it and either gave it away or sold it at a used book store.. sooo stupid, it was a first edition and everything!!- but I have the collection in paperback so it had to match those. Eventually he went and bought it for me in paperback too.. ::biggrin:: I'm a dork, I know..

And King... well.. he is King.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I love Anne Rice and Stephen King. I'm reading "Lisey's Story" right now, and it's incredible.

Anne Rice is a master of description. My favorite books by her were "Pandora" and "Blood and Gold". I just like the love story between Marius and Pandora. The Witching Hour Trilogy was ok...I just hated the way The Witching Hour starts off. The other two books were really good. I never wanted to go to sleep after reading those books.

Has anyone read Poppy Z. Brite? I've read her later stuff, but not "Exquisite Corpse" or any of her horror. Or Chelsea Quinn Yarbro? I'd like to read her books, but I don't know...

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I use to like Anne Rice but.... I really like Raven Dane at the moment. She also writes about vampires and dark Kinds.