Writer's United : Forum : What inspired you to start wri..

What inspired you to start writing.

13 Years Ago

For me it was Chargeof the Light Brigade, and The Mask of the Red Death

Re: What inspired you to start writing.

13 Years Ago

I was inspired to start writing when someone told me an event in their life, and it was so complicated to explain that I tried to write it out, and it ended up being the first "book" I ever wrote.

13 Years Ago

To be frank....
It is my loneliness...
That prompted me......to start writing...

13 Years Ago

Well I grew up an only child until I was 8 years old.  Both of my parents worked.  I had a lot of cousins and Grandparents that I would write to at first.  I read 300 books when I was in the first grade.  Maybe my love for reading inspired me to write everyone long letters.  I learned to tell stories in my letters to people.  I still enjoy writing letters.  My Grandmother had 14 children so I have relatives all over the map, that I wrote letters to.  I would also write letters to my friends back home when visiting my relatives.   I love to talk too, but I enjoy writing more.  I've read a lot of good books.  I mostly love to capture a special moment or a special character and reveal them to someone else and see if they were as entertained as I was.

13 Years Ago

It would seem there are many reason that we were inspired to become writers!

13 Years Ago

I was about 6 when I read Jack London's "The Call of the Wild"; 8 when I read "The Lord of the Rings". These two books have left indelible marks in my soul. I wrote my first book when I was 8, about dogs fighting for survival in a magical land. The details were inspired by things I had observed while on my forays into nature.   In college, I was an English minor, and was threatened by two of my professors, "if you do not write creatively, we will hunt you down and beat you". Sadly, it was several more years before I found the courage to do so.    

13 Years Ago

Reading authors like Augusten Burroughs (and meeting him in person), David Sedaris, Mary Karr, Christopher Bram, Michael Greenberg, and others. 

I also enjoy reading almost anything on writing non-fiction craft and sometimes fiction craft because there really is an overlap. I particularly enjoyed “Writing Like Hemmingway.” While not a Hemmingway fan per se, he is a master storyteller with the fewest possible words. The structure of his stories has influenced most modern writers. It’s a excellent read and has many good writing exercises. The author is R. Andrew Wilson, Ph.D. 

Grif

13 Years Ago

My mom is a really good writer, she should have been an English teacher. She helped me a lot on school assignments and the teachers were always asking for me to read my work for the class. It felt good to be singled out, so I started to develop my own sense of style. I first started writing poetry and had a lot of fun writing emo stuff for all the angst ridden kids I went to school for. Once I found my own style and started writing what I wanted to write I was hooked.   Everything inspires me from a phrase a friend says, or a dream I had.  What really inspires me the most is human behavior. Seeing how two people can react complete different to the same situation and the why behind their reactions mesmorizes me.

13 Years Ago

Juliezee probably said it perfectly for some of us with the last remarks

13 Years Ago

I was in third grade. Slowly easing into knowing about vampires and magic when Me and my friends started playing a game about another world full of magic and mayhem. This spurred me to start my story another world and spurred me into wanting to write

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Arctic Fox
For me it was Chargeof the Light Brigade, and The Mask of the Red Death

Oh my god that's the coolest! :D In 5th grade we had an extra credit project where we had to memorize a poem, any poem, and read it in front of the class from memory. We got 1 point per line. So, I looked up Longfellow and found that poem (55 lines lol) and recited it. XD All my classmates recited "Fog" lawl

Personally, I started writing seriously after being struck by the lightning of inspiration from Poe. I was 12 and bought a paper back book of his stories and poems, mainly cos it was cheap and looked cool. XD I read "The Black Cat" and fell in love. I'd been writing since I was 9, little jingles and limericks and stuff, but never anything beyond that. Once I found Poe though, poetry soon became my life.

13 Years Ago

Aimee!  Thats cool.  We have something in common ^_^

13 Years Ago

um, truthfully, fanfiction... ;) i started reading fanfiction, liked it, then started writing some of my own. later, i moved on to original work, then poetry... i'm a big reader, always have been, but it was fanfiction that actually got me hooked to pen and paper. shakespeare would be so ashamed :P

13 Years Ago

I don't know, I just did, I started writing when I was eight and never stopped. I loved to read though and still do.

13 Years Ago

Well I've always been off with the fairy's as everyone puts it. There isn't a single day that goes by and I havn't been inside my own world. I love listening to music and closing my eyes to see what migh happen. When I read the inheritance trilogy I realised that writing would be a good way of expressing myself, also to see wether anybody else liked what I imagined or am I just crazy! :-)

13 Years Ago

I started reading the Hardy Boys when I was like nine. As cheesy as that old series was, I loved it. Then right before my eleventh birthday I discovered a little (little my a$$) book called The Stand.

13 Years Ago

I would write little stories when I was a kid, but it wasn't until I read Jim Carroll's 'The Basketball Diaries' when I was 15 that I really started taking it seriously. Then I read Bret Easton Ellis' 'Rule of Attraction' when I was 17 and I found a style I could connect with. 

13 Years Ago

I started out writing small verses of poetry as a little girl. When I was around 11, I entered my very first school poetry contest. Can't remember if I won anything, really, but it was published in the school annual that year, which was nice. Been writing ever since. Plays became a passion of mine at age 12, then I moved on from there to writing novels by my late teens. I've always been quite shy by nature, so writing was one of the things that I found that I could do alone; something I could do that did not require anyone else around.

Inspiration for writing? I have no inspiration whatsoever, except the love of the command of words themselves. Words are what inspire people. They move them to do this or to do that; to think this way or think that way; to go here or to go there.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
eL

13 Years Ago

Now that I think about it, I guess "The Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon started it all. The protagonist there was also a writer, part of the story was about him writing a novel for this mysterious publisher.
well I only started reading novels not more than two years, and started writing more or less a year now.

13 Years Ago

I wrote poetry as a kid then stopped writing for a while.  In my teens I returned to writing (fanfiction) and now original.  I've always been reading since I was a wee baby (read to at that time) and finally decided to put my thoughts on paper.  Aislynn Duyer DEMANDED to be known to the world!  Hehehe... 

First Page first
Previous Page prev