Writers Against Bad Reviews! : Forum : I wish people would be HONEST ..

[reply] [quote]

I wish people would be HONEST in their reviews!

12 Years Ago

I find it irritating that most people write overly complimentary reviews, even to poets that REALLY need constructive criticism. How can we tell if our work is any good if all we get is kind comments and no criticism?. Especially if you're getting the same criticism as a writer who is clearly better or worse than yourself. SO ANNOYING!   Does anyone else feel the same way? Because there are some writers out there that say that their writing shouldn't be criticised as it's "from the heart"...?
[reply] [quote]

Re: I wish people would be HONEST in their reviews!

12 Years Ago

Because of this, I've quit giving critiques to most of the younger writers on here because they're writing to be heard, not to improve their writing. It irritates me, because if that's why you're writing, then why do you even want a review, but it is what it is. What irritates me even more is when you do give detailed constructive criticism and they: a) don't even want to consider it because it's "mean" or b) go back and give you a one line review and think that they have repaid you. I hate one line reviews adn they make me not want to give you an in-depth review because I know I'm going to get nothing but a useless "this was great!" or worse "nice write" back. That tells me nothing, and I would take a brutally honest critique over that. Even if it hurt my feelings, at least someone would be telling me as a reader what didn't work for them in the writing.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

I find it irritating as well and like Shalynn, I've stopped reviewing most writers. I try hard to offer constructive criticism and only review if I am able to do so, otherwise there's little point to it. If you really thought the piece deserved praise, then message the writer! What bothers me the most though is when 'friends' leave a meaningless one liner simply because you're their 'friend'. Someone once admitted that they often only review something to put a smile on the writer's face, therefore not helping anyone improve.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

The short answer ('cause the long one won't format correctly when I try to post it *g*): Don't let them get away with it.  Don't give them a thumbs-up, and don't ignore them, when they give you a fluff-and-cheese review.  Block them if you have to.  Befriend writers that you see giving real reviews, and encourage them to keep doing that.  The problem is, we're "preaching to the choir" here.  The fluff-and-cheese reviewers aren't going to change as long as it benefits them to keep on as they are.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Jazperanza, take your age (and anything else that might make you seem young) off your profile page. That may help get your reviews a bit more honest. We're all a little afraid of hurting the feelings of the "kids." I'll be honest with you, I know you're in this group and I read a few of your poems and I was still a little leery about putting up a blunt and honest review.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

(The long version, hopefully formatted without losing my paragraph breaks this time.)

This is a novelist's take on the situation:

If the piece of writing is longer than a few lines, it requires a review that is longer than a few lines.  Nothing worse than posting a novel chapter, or a 3-page poem, and getting "Beautiful!" as the whole of the review.  Nor is a 3-sentence review on a 4000-word chapter a fair exchange for a 3-paragraph review written on a 400-word short story fragment.

Being honest means not just saying "I like it, you are the best!"  A bit of explaining why the reviewer likes it would be good, yes?  But it also means not finding fault merely for the sake of finding fault.  I got one review that even said that:  'I couldn't find anything wrong with this, but I'll tell you that something is bad because that is expected.'  No, it is not expected that the reviewer will tear the writing to shreds even though they liked everything about it.  That is perhaps worse than the fluff reviews.  There is nothing wrong with giving a detailed explanation of what you do like, after all, and writers need that kind of feedback, too.

I also think that honesty in reviewing means not claiming some kind of expertise that you don't possess.  I hate it when someone "corrects" my writing by telling me that I've misspelled my protagonist's name (it's Grey with an e - deal with it) or that I obviously don't know the right term for a sci-fi weapon because they heard some other word in a video game once.  (Sorry, but there's no such thing as a sound laser.  Really.)  People who give a review saying "i didnt see any grammer in this, it is good" aren't being honest, are they?  They're certainly not being helpful.

The trouble is, we're "preaching to the choir" here.  The people who need to hear what we're saying are the ones who are deliberately giving those one-line, fluff-and-cheese reviews.  And they do it because they can.  They do it because their little cliques of followers will always give their reviews a thumbs-up, no matter how useless the reviews are.  They want the fluff and cheese; they want the empty accolades rather than constructive criticism.

No one should receive glowing praise for having a pretty picture that they found on Google posted along with their poem or story... Judge the writing by the writing, not by the fancy fonts or pretty pictures or the writer's avatar or whatever we read on their profile.  Especially in a online environment where we have no way of really knowing if anything we "know" about the writer is true or not.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that young writers won't take constructive criticism and that older ones will.  Maturity matters; age does not.  I've seen young writers who were very serious about becoming better at their craft, and older ones who were so sure that they knew it all that they threw tantrums at anyone who suggested that they had some small room yet for improvement.

I've often wondered, myself, why anyone would post writing on a review site if they don't want honest feedback.  When I am asked to review something, and I do, and then the writer sends me a message saying 'i dont care wat u think, ur a hater!!!!'... Yeah.  Because I tried to help someone with their grammar after they asked me to, and only the most mean-spirited people even think that that stuff matters... Must be why I'm never on the Top Reviewers list.

You know what puts a smile on my face?  Knowing that someone has read my fiction and gets it.  Knowing that they say they like it because they do like it, not because they're afraid to hurt my feelings or they think that giving me nothing but glowing praise will get me to give them a review of the same kind.  Even knowing that they say they don't like it because they actually don't like the writing, not because they dislike what they think they know about me, and they are treating me like an adult, able to take honest criticism without getting all angsty about it.  I didn't get mad (well, slightly annoyed for a minute or two) when The Perfectionist said that he hates the female lead in my novel.  He explained that he hates all female protagonists (Whatever made you think she's the protagonist, TP?) because they're only written by teenage girls (I'm a 39-year-old man) and are therefore cliche.  But he was willing to explain where his opinion came from, and that made it a lot more useful to me.  (Mental note:  Some mundanes are still living in the 1900s.  So are some sci-fi fans.  Listen to what they say about plot clarity, but ignore any feedback they have about characterization.  They're not your intended audience anyway.)

I do wish that reviewers would pay more attention to the questions I ask in my author's notes, though...

[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Another thing that is absolutely required for an honest review - read the writing!  Seems obvious, right?  When a reviewer calls a female character "he" repeatedly (for a third-person story, where the pronouns make character gender clear) or says something like "I can tell that you know a lot about vikings" on a story that has NOTHING even remotely to do with that, you can pretty much tell that the reviewer is just blathering.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

I have a piece of advise for most of the reviewers of my stuff: if you're only getting one or two points per review, then there is no possible way your review was helpful.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Shalynn
I have a piece of advise for most of the reviewers of my stuff: if you're only getting one or two points per review, then there is no possible way your review was helpful.

Not necessarily true.  The points are based partly on how long the writing itself is.  You could give a 3-paragraph review on a 5-line poem and still only get a couple of points, especially if it is a revision and you reviewed the old version too.

I've given reviews that were a full page in Times 12 (I type 'em up in Word and then paste to the review box - easier for me to see) that I only got 10 points for.  On about 2000 words of story.  But when it's part 2 of the review because I had to break it up into manageable segments, I don't get as much for anything past part 1.

But yes, in general, if you write a review so short that you only get a point or two for it, it is probably FAR too short to be helpful.

What I want to know is, how can people who habitually give one-word reviews end up at the top of the Reviewers list for months at a time?
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Weaver
What I want to know is, how can people who habitually give one-word reviews end up at the top of the Reviewers list for months at a time?

I wonder how the Reviewers list works, actually. I got on the top in my first few weeks of joining the site and have been there since, even after a month long hiatus. What is the Top Reviewers list based on? How many you give and how many thumbs up you get on them? But I'm fairly sure I don't get many thumbs up, and I have had trouble giving reviews lately due to my schedule. Yet there I am, on top of that list. So what's the qualifications of getting and staying on that list?
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Shalynn
Originally posted by Weaver

I wonder how the Reviewers list works, actually. I got on the top in my first few weeks of joining the site and have been there since, even after a month long hiatus. What is the Top Reviewers list based on? How many you give and how many thumbs up you get on them? But I'm fairly sure I don't get many thumbs up, and I have had trouble giving reviews lately due to my schedule. Yet there I am, on top of that list. So what's the qualifications of getting and staying on that list?

Well, it definitely ISN'T based on how good the person is at giving reviews, since I'm at the top of the list at the moment.