Writers Are Us : Forum : 5 questions to be asked at an ..

[reply] [quote]

5 questions to be asked at an Interview

14 Years Ago

I have the opportunity on June 3rd to be interviewed on LIVE local access TV.  The show I'll be interviewed on usually has palm readers, astrology, numerology.  While I don't practice these philosophies reguarly I don't rule out thier possiblieties.  I believe in everything.  I guess that's why it is easy for me to make up stories.

The interviewer has suggested talking about the "art" of writing.

I need to present 5 questions to asked on the show.  I'm asking for suggestions.

Thanks for your time and attention.

MTS

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

1) how I come up with an idea

2) how I develop the story line using the 5W: who what when where and why and sometimes how

3) when do I actually begin the writing part.

4) how I decide to eliminate or refine my story.

5) how I name my characters

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

P.S.

I do know that for a formal interview you should have 2 alternate questions, besides your 5.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

These are great suggestions, Cherrie!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

At least they're asking you to keep it defined to writing. I think Cherrie Palmer's suggestions are pretty good, too!

I'm going to make suggestions too.

1) Why I write?

An author once told me writing has been misinterpreted as a hobby, but anyone who writes knows this to be untrue. Writing is an obsession. Something deep inside us compels to express ourselves through literature. Although many of us do so through fiction, it should not be under-rated because as an author we have to be creative. When I dive deep into a book I write I find myself in a whole new place. A whole new world, even. And being in that world lifts my spirits in such a way that helps me put my words together that forms my story.

2) How to write?

There are many forms of writing. As a writer I know what I enjoy, but I have to learn what my audience (genre) is looking for or else no one will open my book. To do that I look at what authors are popular and why. I look at their style of writing and compare mine with their own. This allows me the ability to gauge the uniqueness of each writer, including myself. I practice short stories that I can build into novels and go from there.

3) What to write?

An author once told me a writer should write what we enjoy reading. There are many forms of writing. There is history, biography, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, etc. I enjoy them all! But for me, fiction has a special place because it is something I am creating entirely on my own. I do not pretend to be God, as one author described it to me, but my scale is small, secular, and special to me because I can say it is my own.

4) When to write?

This may not seem like an important question, but authors do have private lives too. We have families that need us and if we do not find a good balance to work, our whole world (writing and family) can fall apart. I have to know when I need to turn off my laptop and pay attention to my family because if they are not happy, neither am I. And when I'm not happy I simply cannot write.

5) Publishing what we write

I cannot speak for all writers, but there was a time when I did not pursue publishing my work seriously because I was afraid people would not like my writing. This tore me apart for many years. Eventually an author once asked, "Haven't you ever read a book that you knew yours was better?" We all raised our hand and said yes. He said we were probably right and that our book was. Timing was everything! Being in the right place at the right time, the cards falling in place, the starts lining just right, YOUR TIME coming bearing fruit, all of this tells us we have to overcome our fear and go forward with our obsession. If we do not, then something deep inside of us will remain asleep.

I hope you don't think I was long-winded, Matt, but those questions got me carried away.

David

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Thank you Cherrie and David.  This was exactly what I was looking for.  Keep them coming if you think of anything.  I will give her my questions on Saturday.  The questions I don't send to her I will use as a converstation starter during the interview.

Thanks again

Matt