Writers Are Us : Forum : Volunteer Work Goes A Long Way

[reply] [quote]

Volunteer Work Goes A Long Way

15 Years Ago

As I learn more about promoting my book I find that local libraries stage events throughout the year for authors. These events fill up fast (it's amazing how many of us are out there!) and we have to act quick.

Last Wednesday I went to my favorite Used Book Store (Wahrenbrocks) in downtown San Diego and introduced myself as a published author (at last). The manager told me about an event our City College holds called International Book Author's Event. When I called the sponsor she said all positions were filled, but I sensed disappointment in her tone that she couldn't help me. I then told her I could provide my own table, tent, water and cooler for guests, and would be able to provide additional tables and tents for other authors (my wife and I do a lot of camping and have a lot of gear courtesy of REI). All I asked in return was for a guaranteed spot in the event.

Her next response was, "Consider yourself in the event!"

The lesson learned here is we don't always have to take no for an answer. They want to help, and if we're willing to go above and beyond what others do, our efforts will give us additional mileage.

I used the same method this morning and clinched a book-signing event at our local Bonita Branch Library for September 12, 2009. They informed me their funds were limited and actually pay authors to preview their books in their libraries. I told them I wouldn't charge them anything in exchange for them posting my flyer, author bio, book preview, and author picture on their website, calendar of events, and announcements/newsletters. I got the confirmation shortly thereafter.

Good luck to us and more will follow soon.

David