Writers Asylum : Forum : Hello from new member Jonathan..

Hello from new member Jonathan Maberry

16 Years Ago

Hello from new member Jonathan Maberry
I�m a new member of your community and wanted to introduce myself.

I�m a full-time writer, currently alternating between mainstream supernatural thrillers and occult/supernatural folklore.

My novel, Ghost Road Blues (Pinnacle Books, $6.99) just won the BRAM STOKER AWARD for Best First Novel, awarded by the Horror Writers Association. The sequel, Dead Man�s Song, will be out July 3.
My most recent nonfiction was Vampire Universe: The Dark World of Supernatural Beings that Haunt Us, Hunt Us, and Hunger for Us (released September 2006 by Citadel Press). In August my new one, The Cryptopedia, will be out �it�s an occult/paranormal dictionary.
Currently I�m working on a pop-culture book on zombies

I co-own a writing center, The Writers Corner USA in Doylestown (www.writerscornerusa.com), and I�m on the Board of the Philadelphia Writers Conference.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Regards
Jonathan Maberry
MySpace

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Welcome to the Asylum! Are you new to Writers Cafe as well? I'm still fairly new here. I'll be honest and tell you I'm not into horror. I tend to read fantasy/fiction novels like Harry Potter, Eragon, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, etc... I also enjoy reading romance but they can't be the ones that are full of nothing but smut. They have to be the ones with an actual plot to them. I particularly like to read ones written by Nora Roberts or Jude Deveraux.
I've been writing for almost twenty years. I started with writing poetry and would occasionally do short stories. Now I'm writing a fantasy/fiction trilogy. The first book is finished but I'm editing right now. It should be ready by the end of the year. The second book is underway but nowhere near completion as I'm spending a majority of my time editing the first book. I've got the prologue posted on here but I won't post any more than that.
Anyway, regardless of the fact that I don't like horror stories I welcome you. You will find many here who do like to read and write horror. I hope your second book does as well as your first.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Well, not everyone likes horror. My own wife doesn't read my horror novels. They give my agent nightmares. But they pay the bills, and I enjoy them.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

As long as you enjoy writing them that's all that matters. As far as your agent getting nightmares I would take that as a huge compliment considering what you're writing. Anyway, as I mentioned before you will find plenty of people on here who will love to read your horror stories. Tell your agent to reprogram after reading your stories. LOL