Writers Who Want to Help! : Forum : Character Trouble

[reply] [quote]

Character Trouble

13 Years Ago

Ok I really hope I ain't the only one who has these kinds of issues but my main character's so stubborn! He's set himself into this mindset and it's like he's got tunnel vision! He has to get this one thing done, and he's almost desperate for it, but the issue is getting him there! Sorry I guess this is more sort of a vent but it's driving me crazy! Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Character Trouble

13 Years Ago

It sounds to me like your Character (and story) is on the right track. Readers LOVE when the character is struggling or stubborn, it adds tension and more importantly: emotion, to the story.   Please post a copy of your story as soon as you can, or at least post a summary/snipet of the book. I would love to read it!   -Kyle
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

This might be a good  time just to take a little break, break away from it, and then come back. This happens to many characters, and you'll get it. If you want any help, feel free to share. I'm glad you brought it to the group's attention.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Help would be great, but if I take a break from it I won't be able to sleep. LOL! My storylines literally keep me awake at night.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

This is very common. I have found myself at times when I have to kill or do something bad to a character but it's hard, cause certain affection to them had grown. Sometimes there are characters which I don't like their personalities (even though I had created it), but they make the balance in the story. Also, we tend to give our characters something of our own personality, unconsciously most of the time, and we come to love those who had the qualities we like about us and dislike those who doesn't. Well, this is my experience about this...
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I know just what you mean Dante! I have a character now that I'd LOVE to punch in his face LOL, but he's that way for a reason so I guess it's ok :o) I just forget that characters create their own flow sometimes, and that the situations I create stop being mine to control after a certain point.