emotional writers : Forum : could you tell me what you thi..

[reply] [quote]

could you tell me what you think? please...

11 Years Ago

In my thirty years of existence in this place we call earth, inhabited by me and them (them being every other person including you), I have never ‘unbelieved’ a statement as this: Dreams come true. As a matter of fact, presently I am a letter 'd' phobic, (dream, dance, dog, darling; the list is inexhaustible). Now don't go blaming me, my antecedent is the real culprit here. At age five, I dreamt my father would come back home. It never happened. At age seven, I dreamt my mother hugged me and repeatedly told me 'I love you'. At the moment, I’m thirty, and believe me not once, (this is no exaggeration) has she even said ‘I like you’ to me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know there are some of y'all that might say it's not a Nigerian thing to express love. You’re dead wrong if you belong to that school of thought. Love is a universal thing and Nigeria is no exception.   I don’t care if you think me a ‘love sick psycho’ who is living in a dream world but as an authentic Nigerian citizen, I believe the constitution gives me the right to my opinion so please let me be! How could a right thinking person believe that it’s unnecessary for parents to affirm their love towards their children verbally?    I am tempted to agree with some friends of mine who believe I should leave Nigeria because my mode of reasoning does not just fit the Nigerian way of reasoning, but who are they to tell me where I should live and how to reason? Alright, I admit I’m sounding a bit bitter and you might think me rude but dear, if you’ve been through what I have experienced in the three decades I’ve dwelled on earth, if I’m not wrong you might be worst(Cos I’m kinda moderate in everything).  How is it that it’s so difficult for my mother to have told me the three letter phrase (even if she didn’t mean it) yet it’s so easy for those hungry  male homo sapiens to dish out the three-letter phrase when they want to... ? (now,  com’n, don’t expect me to complete the statement) I’m of the opinion that Nigerian men have been under-celebrated in the Guinness book of records because they should be given the record for being the fastest set of men to say ‘I love you’. A man meets you during a fifteen minute bus ride and before you get off he’s already told you he loves you three times, he gets your number and sends you one of the most romantic messages most likely dubbed from the internet and yip, your guess is as good as mine, he ends it with ‘I love you’. Next thing you are out on a date on the next day, he buys you ONE(please note the stress) bottle of malt and maybe suya in-between several ‘I love yous’  and BANG! Yet my mother remained tight-lipped in her expression of her love for me. Out of spite for my mother’s carelessness I began dreaming of my knight in shining armour. His mission? To love me. Love me to the point of wiping away my not-too-pleasant past. Since the dream was exceptionally persistent, I knew and strongly believed it was only a matter of time before it became reality. Age twenty-two, and my indomitable dream became reality. I was in my final year in the university, the period often referred to as final year rush. A period when most of the female students in the final year tie the marital knot.