~Prompts for Creativity~ Group : Forum : a Few of your Favorite Prompts

a Few of your Favorite Prompts

11 Years Ago

My favorite prompts have to do with characters or lifestyles that many of us often don't think about or fully relate to. Some of my favorite prompts are: "a day in the life of..." a person living with extremem anxiety or phobias, a homeless man or woman, a prostitute, call-girl, or stripper, a dwarf going out on a date, a teenage runaway, a man or woman going through divorce, a child whose parents are going through divorce etc.,etc.etc. Let me know about some of your favorite prompts to use, whether it be music, photos,. etc.(:

Re: a Few of your Favorite Prompts

11 Years Ago

i love love love this website. its really great and i love some of the ideas on it. xxx  are some of my own for you to try:

--Write a poem including these words; paper; magic marker; erase; ink; pain. And nothing to do with writing.
--Write a poem about pain without using the words; hate; pain; anger; love.
--Write a prose(150 words no more no less) about your bedroom window. You cannot mention what you are describing until the last line.
--Close your eyes. Spin in 360 circle. open your eyes. first thing you see it....write a poem about it.
--Write a poem about a:
          -a wooly hat
          -a mobile phone
          -the letter Z
          -your accent
          -a stranger you saw today
--Write a story describing the next perosn you see. no matter who it is. it could be the binman, your dad, your teacher, a stranger on the street. Do it. its a great writing exercise. focus on things you wouldnt really think about when looking at someone.
--What do you think of when i say: Marigold. ----poetry time......

There are so many ideas the list could go on forever! have fun hope the website was good too. xx

11 Years Ago

I think I'll try the accent one right now :P wish me luck haha

11 Years Ago

Ooh where to start. Well my all time fave was What you could change about your country. I got a bit carried away on the essay and the teacher wasn't too fond of it. No swaering, but let'sjust say it might border on radical to the government lol.

11 Years Ago

I like taking weird conversations I've had with people (what would shadows feel?) or questions I always had (what do people taste like? I found out later we taste like pigs...)(whoa, I didn't eat a person! I looked it up!) and then I turn those thoughts into stories. It's also fun to look at random objects, like a shoebox, and think up as many uses for it as you can. Then pick your favorite use and build a story from there. Ex:
-holding shoes
-time capsule
-if you have lots of shoeboxes that all hold shoes then you can put one holding private things in with them and no one would think to look

Ok, shoe boxes aren't the most interesting, but I could take those three things and make something from it.
Holding shoes: A shoebox holding all the shoes of a dead child and the mother just can't let go.
Time capsule: Guy has amnesia, finds time capsule, and there's contact info for a childhood friend who he meets and falls in love with and yeah.
The last shoebox idea: A murderer hides his weapons in a shoebox.

I don't really like any of those because there's nothing magical about them at all, but you get the idea :)

11 Years Ago

I am very inspired by Spoken Word poetry. So here are a few to listen to (they are fantastic!)

Taylor Mali: What Teachers Make 
one of my all-time favorites

Jeanann Verlee: Unsolicited advice to adolescent girls with crooked teeth and pink hair

Watch these once or twice. These are the poems that inspired me to start writing and they continue to do so every time I listen. Enjoy!