Out of The Spare Room

Out of The Spare Room

A Story by sivan
"

Yes this is a coming out story of sorts. I decided to spare too much detail or I could have probably written a book. So here it is plain and simple, an acceptance of truth.

"

This is not a story. No fairytale weaved in between words of comfort, no build up to a climax of gastronomical proportions- just truth. And truth like ice water, burns the skin with a pain so excruciating it’s hard not to enjoy. A release of sorts.

Lesbian. The word falls lightly off my tongue, teasing my comfort zone. Lesbian. There it is again, and it exits my lips with the ease gained from years of training as if I was groomed for this moment. I sit staring at my mother not sure why she isn’t reacting to this little bit of news but then I feel myself replaying the last few seconds in my mind only to realize I’m staring at her blankly and not a word has fallen out my mouth.

She looks disturbed and I can’t imagine why when I haven’t said a thing out of place.

“Okay out with it.” She speaks so out of character- there must be something wrong. And then I feel it and I know of her discomfort. The blood is screaming through my veins, deceiving my nonchalant exterior, sweat drips from idle pores and I close my eyes, silently retreating. This is not the time, I tell myself, avoiding the inevitable- but is it? I never did find secrets hard to keep. After all I’d kept my cousins smoking habit to myself for all of 8 years and would have taken it to my grave if she hadn’t intercepted. No, keeping secrets was not something I was bad at.

Convincing myself of the benefits was not hard. It was no more than a few seconds before I opened my eyes and said enthusiastically, “I’m just so bored, I hate add breaks.” My mother laughed at my apparent stupidity and her thoughts ran quickly away from whatever they had been just moments ago. With the pressure dropped, knowing I was not going to have to say or explain any further, my blood relaxed and I was able to unclench my fingers from fists I was unaware had formed. Though I still had trouble breathing, it wasn’t obvious and I was sure I could calm down enough by tomorrow to follow through with my plan.

But tomorrow came faster than I expected bringing with it an alarming realization. This was who I am, this was my life, it wasn’t just some rebellious act I was performing like drinking myself to a stupor or speed racing through city streets and I knew then that it would hurt more to have people love me as a fraud than to have them hate me for my truth. This was my truth.

I would like to imagine that the realization of my sexuality sprung up on me one day, that I knew from the moment I kissed her that THIS WAS HOW IT WAS MEANT TO FEEL, but looking back I know that it’s not true. Yes when I first kissed a girl it almost knocked me off my sixteen year old toes, yes I didn’t want her to ever stop, yes I knew I’d never want a man again. Love and lust held me in its ever elusive grip. Threatened to never release me and I was so consumed with newly discovered yearnings that I was blinded to the fact that the smoke alarm had been signaling all along, interweaved with so many heterosexual experiences that it was difficult to separate truth and fabrication. And yes tomorrow was here.

I knew I had to act fast, the courage I’d built up was slowly starting to wear off, like a painkiller the effects wear off eventually, but unlike a painkiller, I couldn’t pop courage back in my mouth and swallow it whole. I knew that if I lost it, it wasn’t coming back and if I didn’t speak now " I never would.

Thoughts bled through my mind as if I’d burst a blood vessel. I was weighing up all possible responses and even though at this point I’d convinced myself I could handle anything, the confidence was only external. What would she say? I know a good friend of hers is lesbian and she’s okay with that but, I’m her ONLY daughter. What would she think? I was her ONLY try at this motherhood thing, would she feel she’d messed up? Oh god, would she tell the Marshall-Like father I hadn’t seen in 5 years? I stopped myself from thinking, I never had found guessing games entertaining.  My stomach was tying and untying itself in multiple arrays of knots and my hands felt so weak with shaking I wondered if my voice would betray me again but then I heard the words drip out me, slow and careful, soft but audible, lesbian.

“Mom… I think I’m Lesbian.”

Well the words although timidly formed had now been completely ejected. The seconds after had felt like minutes. The wait was excruciating but before my mind had time to take over and start guessing at her reaction again her lips began to move. The words that came out shocked me and comforted me all in one - this I wasn’t expecting.

She stood up walked toward me and hugged me, the words muffled in my hair, but I knew what I’d heard, “I think you are too.” Was all she said.

© 2011 sivan


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

sivan
Yes this is a coming out story of sorts. I decided to spare too much detail or I could have probably written a book. So here it is plain and simple, an acceptance of truth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The hardest part of life is to accept who you are. I like the way you told the story. I have raised four children and now I have three grand boys roaming my house. I learn a quiet voice is better than trying to control what you can't control. I like the response of the mother. Life is not your to decide of your children. Thank you for sharing the story. There is a lesson in your words.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


sivan

10 Years Ago

that is the truth. thanks for the kind words
A very good autobiographical story. The introspection is powerful. Your mother always knew...she was waiting for you to figure it out for yourself. Well written. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Really good piece..I really liked it..well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Amy
It is not easy to be accepted who for you are. great write! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


sivan

10 Years Ago

thank you :-)
Amy

10 Years Ago

u are always welcome. :)
you wrote your own story in a interesting way, nowhere it was like -its boring or exaggerated. Blessed are you to have a Mom who is so understanding.
best wishes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mothers know, don't they ... for better or worse. My first reaction was that this was a well written story with a happy ending. The kind all girls hope for as they are coming out but rarely enjoy. But, then I realized that this may not be a happy ending at all. Her hug was an affirmative but she simply said, "I think you are too." And then what?

Well, this is another well written piece and gives hope to many girls who are still living inside themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Straight to the point and I like it. I like it and I'm jealous. I'm jealous of your courage and confidence because until now I am not able to do what you did. I like your use of simple words. I like the story. It hit me head on. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved the ending, where her mom just accepts it. It always takes a lot of courage just to say it, and lots of those who come out are not received so kindly by their parents.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Loveddd the wording. Each thought was perfectly laid out like detailed thread on a basket. The ending made me smile and warmed my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was really well told. Every feeling perfectly conveyed. I felt connected with what you were going through.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

875 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 19, 2011
Last Updated on October 19, 2011
Tags: gay, lesbian, coming out

Author

sivan
sivan

Durban, South Africa



About
I am a student of computer engineering... very technical yes but i like to get lost in the creativity of poetry and writing. Im an out and proud lesbian and if anyone doesn't like that well then that .. more..

Writing
Into Forever Into Forever

A Poem by sivan


Longing Longing

A Poem by sivan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..