Third In Line

Third In Line

A Poem by {A}shley {B}lack @-;-
"

A poem that describes suffering from abuse

"
Third In Line

The thud of the door opens a perilous time
lashing out, barking orders “Family In Line”
Rooms not to standard work is not done 
releasing the clasp to his belt, now we must run

Mother protecting children as fist puts her down
grabbing his eldest pulling hair from the crown

I sit there reading of marvellous medicines and BFG
when this giant looks down towering over me

The mother reacts her youngest in tears
A boot to his face ignite her worst fears
 
A knife her only option a means to escape
running downstairs but now its too late
wrist fractured, nose broken by powerful hand
ribs broken, mouth bleeding for making a stand

one is dealt with now the eldest must pay
belt round the face a buckle mark lay 

This giant towers over me for the second time
 its always in sequence his fist does align
pain I can deal with but not being third in line  

© 2011 {A}shley {B}lack @-;-


Author's Note

{A}shley {B}lack @-;-
Please give honest reviews

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dev
That there is family abuse in this world, is perhaps the saddest thing. I mean we complain about bombs and guns but often many people don't say one thing about the fists and the kicks. They just live with it and that's sad. Such violence and subsequent anger that originates at home spreads to the streets. Your write was very vivid and hence very powerful. I can almost imagine what the family must go through every time the offender walk through the door. It's a very nice write.
I don't think anyone should live through something like this and I'm sorry if you had to...!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The last line was very striking and unexpected. Gives a new face and feel to the poem.. The destruction referenced in the previous lines is powerful and descriptive. The last stanza. I just love it. There is so much imagery, and I can just see a rouge father beating the family with a small child in the corner reading.. because it's so common.. and not understanding fully almost, and almost a feeling of anger or bitterness that they are always last in line.. something for me to think on for a bit for sure. Thanks for the read. I have a biased turn off from rhyming poetry, but your work is very catching and mesmerizing and descriptive. Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A good, strong poem; for me, a little off balance, but with the nature of the work,
understandable. As for it being your own personal experience, keep in mind I rate
this much, much higher.

Posted 13 Years Ago


what can i posibly say .. real an raw here Ashley brilliant poetry ... though a lot of abuse goes unseen as abusers get wiser and learn to only mark in places that aernt seen by the eyes of others ... we all have lessons in life and the getting up and leaving lesson is a very difficult but neccessary path that needs to be followed ... the abuser is always the weaker one in the end ..........

Posted 13 Years Ago


aww....I hate family abuse! It's so wrong

Posted 13 Years Ago


oh man... a poetic punch to the gut. This feels like Mother Goose gone wrong. A childhood memory too visceral, too dysfunctional and bruised to show its face in a nursery rhyme... but sadly far more real than any of those happy childhood moments so often captured between pages of our favorite youthful storybooks. Powerful, tragic, and evocative.... stellar work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great and tragic story. The last line stumbled a bit. All in all, an excellent poem

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was heartbreaking. I wish I could say I don't relate, but, as you know, I do. This is a very touching poem with real emotion and painful honesty. The elevated diction really put this on a new level and the rhyme scheme felt fresh, not hackneyed or wearily overused at all. Thank you for inviting me to read this. I love it and feel for the speaker, whether that is you or your imagination. Very well done. I am duly impressed and I beg you to keep writing. It is so obviously well worth it, what with your talent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is an outstanding piece of writing. Very graphic and emotional. I really like it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow, this was evocative and very powerful piece on abuse. Very tragic...that last line is striking...remarkable writing...so sad...

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dev
That there is family abuse in this world, is perhaps the saddest thing. I mean we complain about bombs and guns but often many people don't say one thing about the fists and the kicks. They just live with it and that's sad. Such violence and subsequent anger that originates at home spreads to the streets. Your write was very vivid and hence very powerful. I can almost imagine what the family must go through every time the offender walk through the door. It's a very nice write.
I don't think anyone should live through something like this and I'm sorry if you had to...!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1607 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 23, 2011
Last Updated on January 23, 2011

Author

{A}shley {B}lack @-;-
{A}shley {B}lack @-;-

Sheriffhales, Shropshire , United Kingdom



About
I Am Ashley Black (an alter ego ) I have a dark mind when it comes to my poetry as the strongest emotions come from negative RETURNING- I have been distant from this site for a while but I am fina.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Dream My Dream

A Story by Tate Morgan


Crossing Crossing

A Poem by Robin