August 4th, 2011

August 4th, 2011

A Chapter by ~ Czarina Iris ~

  "Choose!" The man's voice was cold and without feeling as he yelled out his order.
  I looked up at the faces of the people sitting on the bleachers, young and old, sick and healthy. There were families that would be torn apart, lovers that would never see each other again, I wanted everyone off the train and coming with me and curse my age, were I older I could have brought them all. But being ten I was only permitted to save ten. The others were to board the train and never be heard of again.
  I took a deep breath, forcing myself to hold back tears, and took a good look around. I decided I'd save as many young ones as I could. "You, you, and you." I started as I pointed to what was left of a once happy family. The teenage girl, her boyfriend, and the girl's baby sister all moved to stand beside me. I could see the happiness written on their faces and the fear and sadness in everyone else'. I wanted to cry, to run away. I felt like I was going to be sick.
  "You, and you." I continued as I pointed to a young man and his two year old son. I saw tears of joy pour down his face as he picked up the little boy and walk toward me.
  Only five more, I told myself. I can only save five more.
  The faces of the people sitting on the bleachers were filled with terror, tears spilling from their eyes. They knew what I was doing and all those with no children and the elderly started crying and trembling in fear at what awaited them.
  Tears started sliding down my own face as I pointed toward the bleachers for the last time and called "You, you, you, you and you." An older woman with two sleeping children rose to her feet and almost ran to my side, a young couple who were clearly expecting followed quickly behind.
  "Get out!" The man ordered us and I didn't hesitate. I ushered everyone forward and before I took off after them, I took one last look at the faces of those I couldn't save. They looked helpless, terrified, like they had completely given up. Their sadness was so great I felt my heart twist in agony deep within my chest and I had to turn away and run to keep myself from crying out.
  I heard the whistle of the train, the cries of the people as they were rushed into their seats and it took every ounce of strength I had to keep running. I ran harder, faster than I ever thought I could, tears spilling down my cheeks every step of the way.


© 2011 ~ Czarina Iris ~


Author's Note

~ Czarina Iris ~
I'm not sure if this is a warning or not but most of my dreams mean something (to me at least) in some way, shape or form. I really hope I'm wrong

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
Added on August 4, 2011
Last Updated on August 4, 2011


Author

~ Czarina Iris ~
~ Czarina Iris ~

Where the sea meets the sky, Canada



About
"Let me not to the marriage of true minds Admit impediments, love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove: O no! it is an ever-fixèd mark Tha.. more..

Writing