Chapter 14: Beyond Repair

Chapter 14: Beyond Repair

A Chapter by Zoë

Luca had told them that Cana was a very picky spirit who liked to do things her own way. That she was stubborn, aggressive, and, by extension, dangerous. But Mandie hadn’t expected it to take this long. They’d already spent an hour wandering around the grounds of the forest and they had yet to see any sign of the wolf spirit.

Was she making them wait this long to prove a point? That she was the one in control here, not them. It sounded like something a spirit like her might do, but something felt off to Mandie.

“Gale?” Hopefully he had some sense of where she was. He’d been calling out to speak with her since they’d found a place she likely spent most of her time.

His body didn’t tense at the sound of her voice, but she knew he’d heard her. His energy came back to him from where he had sent it through the forest and he dropped out of his meditation.

Gale shook his head. “Nothing. If she’s even here I can’t find her,” he mumbled. Something was definitely wrong.

“Jackson?” Mandie asked. He was a few feet away from her, but he fixed her with dull eyes and blinked once. That was a no.

Mandie placed a hand on Gale’s shoulder and tried to feel positive. She knew he’d been looking forward to actually using his powers to help. “It’s allright, Gale, you tried your hardest. Besides, something tells me that the problem’s not with you.”

Mandie stole one look around the forest again. Where the hell could this spirit be? Luca had said that he’d placed barriers around the entire reserve so she couldn’t leave her domain and cause trouble. But if that was true, where was she?

Gale stood and brushed the damp dead leaves and grass from his pants. “What do you mean?”

“If Jackson can’t find her and she’s not responding to your call, that means she’s not here.” Mandie signaled Jackson to go grab Chase and head back to the main building. He nodded and headed off into the forest of dormant plants surrounded by lively evergreens.

“Didn’t Luca say she had to be here, though?” Gale asked. “Then,” his brow furrowed, “where is she?”

“That is the question,” Mandie mused. She pulled back her jacket sleeve and looked at her watch. Luca had only planned to take Alice and Nia out for a little while, they should be getting back around the same time. “We can ask Luca later. But for now let’s head back, I don’t want to get caught out here in the dark.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Gale smiled. Good, he was already feeling better.

“You didn’t happen to talk to any other spirits while you were looking for Cana, did you?” SHe questioned. For such an ‘important’ and ‘highly respected’ hotel, Mandie hadn’t sensed much spiritual activity actually going on around the forest.

It was the off season, but there were some spirits that thrived only in the winter. And Mandie had a feeling that a hotel like this one should be filled with spirits active during different parts of the year. A lack of activity was not only strange, it was pretty much impossible.

“I talked with a few but there weren’t any particularly friendly ones.”

“How many were there?”

“I don’t know, four, maybe--What the?” Gale stopped dead in his tracks and stood staring at the sky towards the direction of the main building.

Before Mandie could ask what was wrong, her question was answered by a wave of spiritual energy slamming into her. She braced herself as the wave passed, only relaxing after the energy tapered off into the forest.

“What the hell was that?” She turned to Gale, making sure he was alright. He seemed fine in general, but he was still staring towards the horizon.

“I don’t know, but look…”

Mandie’s eyes followed to where he was pointing. She didn’t believe what she saw.

“Is that what I think it is?” Gale squinted at the pillar of light that was shooting into sky. No doubt, trying to verify his suspicions.

“Probably.” There was only one type of barrier in the world that looked like that. But, as far as she knew, there wasn’t anyone around here with enough power to cast a raw spell like that. Something was really wrong. They needed to get back now. More than that, she needed to make sure nothing had happened to Nia.

Mandie grabbed Gale’s wrist and set off through the forest as fast as she could, dragging Gale behind her. It wouldn’t be safe to leave Gale out here alone. Jackson and Chase would be fine as long as they stayed together. Alice, she’d be safe with Luca; he would be strong enough to protect her if anything went wrong.

Nia was the wild card. The one person Mandie couldn’t predict or account for. She’d only brought her along because Luca had guaranteed that she wouldn’t need to be involved on the job at all.

Mandie cursed. Anything could’ve gone wrong, she just hoped with all her heart that Nia hadn’t been the one to cast that spell. If she had, well, they were screwed.

***

Mandie burst in through the back door of the building, Gale following closely behind her breathing heavily. Mandie looked around, finding herself in a small, pleasantly tidy kitchen. She shoved Gale towards the kitchen entrance.

“Go find the proprietor.”

Gale rushed out of the kitchen, sensing Mandie’s concern. “What if I can’t find her?” He asked, catching himself on the door frame before her hurried to the entryway.

“Then get the groundskeeper.” Gale nodded and rushed out the door. “Wait, Gale.” Mandie called after him.

He popped back into the door, “Yeah?”

“Find Chase and Jackson while you’re at it.” He nodded again then disappeared out the door way. Mandie closed the door she and Gale had come through. She flicked the lock shut, anyone who was still outside would know to come in through the front. She placed her hand on the door and began to build up her energy.

This forest was teeming with natural power, just waiting to be used. So why not borrow a little? Mandie channeled it from the forest, through her body, and back into the door, weaving it through every fiber of the wood. When she was done with this door, it would be practically invincible.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

Mandie glanced back at the kitchen entrance at the sound of the somewhat old voice. The proprietor was leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed. Her greying hair was pulled up into a loose bun and her withered features were set in a disapproving scowl.

“Oh, Phyllis, hey. I’m just bulking up your security a little bit.” Mandie knew better than to lie to someone like this. Only the best exorcists inherited hotels, and only the greatest of the best accepted the position.

Mandie finished her mental incantation and took her hand away from the door, revealing a circular glyph burned into the door. “Are Alice and Luca back?”

“No, but your two freelancers are back,” she mused, walking over to a fridge that sat just across from Mandie and pulling out a pitcher filled with fresh squeezed lemonade. She held it up, offering it to Mandie.

“No, thanks though. I’m going to go out and look for the two of them,” Mandie moved to leave the kitchen, but Phyllis stopped her with a raised hand.

“I understand why you may be concerned, but Luca’s been here for years. He can take care of himself, and he can certainly take care of that girl you picked up. Going to find them now won’t change anything. What’s happened has happened, for now just wait like the rest of us.”

Phyllis held out a glass of lemonade to Mandie, complete with a slice of lemon on the rim and the perfect number of ice cubes clinking against the glass. Mandie looked at the drink, when had Phyllis made that? She’d been watching her the entire time. Not specifically watching her or anything, but she didn’t think she’d have missed something like this…

Mandie accepted the drink from the wrinkled but strong hand. She took a sip, allowing the cool liquid to sooth her dry mouth. She hadn’t noticed how thirsty she’d been. Phyllis was right. There was nothing so could do now but wait, so why worry.

Either way, she had a feeling that Luca and Alice would be back soon. She could assess the situation then. As long as Nia was  safe…

Mandie sighed and took another sip of the sweet drink. “I don’t think you fully realize what kind of situation I’m dealing with. I’d like to relax, but…” She trailed off, by she couldn’t help but finish the thought in her mind. She’d like to relax for sure, but she didn’t know what Nia was. Or, more accurately, who Nia was.

With a situation like this, where one person could transform into your worst enemy at a moment's notice. She couldn’t relax with that hanging over her. Not when she’d reforged the spiritual connection between this ‘enemy’ and an innocent girl. Of course it wasn’t just that. If anything happened to Alice, anything at all, Bea would kill her. That was a promise.

Phyllis placed a gentle hand on Mandie shoulder. “I may understand better than you think. Who knows, I may even understand better than you.” She smiled. Not in a conceited way, but in the way of a friend, an ally, a mentor. No wonder she’d gotten this job.

“I kinda doubt that,” she felt better, but she didn’t believe anyone could understand. Of course it’s not like she was going to tell anyone exactly what kind of situation she was in. That would cause a bigger problem.

Phyllis just chuckled gently and pulled seven glasses out of a cabinet. “We’ll see,” was all she said before walking out of the kitchen.

Mandie followed her through the short hall into the entryway. The three boys were chatting quietly, huddled around a small stone fire place that took up half of the wall. Mandie meandered over to the window while Phyllis served everyone else lemonade.

She looked out the window, hoping that Alice and Luca--and of course Nia--would be back soon. She’d never been very good at waiting. She was a person of action, sitting around and doing nothing never sat well with her. But Phyllis had been right, there was nothing she could do.

The landlord definitely knew more than she was letting on. It was just a matter of how much she actually knew. Did she know where Cana was? What was happening that caused someone to cast that Ren Barrier? Who did that energy from earlier belonged to? She hadn’t recognized it, so it’d had come from an outside source. A powerful outside source.

Even Mandie, with all her skills in energy control hadn’t been able to figure out exactly who or what that energy belonged to. She had a feeling it was Cana’s, but did that mean that Cana had cast the barrier. Why would she do that? Better yet, how had she gotten through Luca’s perimeter restrictions.

She couldn’t see anyone outside of the window.

The sun was going down and Alice and Luca weren’t back yet. Mandie began to pace around the entry. Maybe they had stayed out later than Luca had expected and decided to spend the night at one of the cabins. This hotel consisted mainly of a small main building, the one they were in now, and four two room cabins spread around the property. It would be a logical choice, especially for someone as experienced as Luca.

Except Luca had said it was best for them to leave the grounds to practice. In which case the main building would be the closest. The more Mandie thought about it, the more worried she got. They should be back by now,

“Why don’t you come and sit down Mandie?” Phyllis asked. “Enjoy the fire for a bit, they’ll be back soon enough.”

She definitely knew something. Mandie was certain of it, but why wouldn’t she share any information. She couldn’t honestly believe that there was nothing they could do, could she? Regardless, Mandie decided to at least enjoy the fire while she could, and trust in the proprietor's predictions.

Not ten minutes had passed before the front door swung open and Luca trudged into the room. He was covered in small cuts from head to toe and the faint yellowy-purple outlines of bruises were forming on his face. A majority of his clothes were damp or covered in mud, almost like he had decided to roll around in a flooded field before he came here.

Alice on the other hand, who had entered silently behind Luca, looked perfectly fine aside from being a bit pale. Mandie was up from her spot by the fire and across the room before the two had even had the chance to pull off their jackets.

“What happened?” Mandie asked. She couldn’t sense Nia, but that didn’t specifically mean the girl was gone. At least Mandie really hoped that was the case.

“Cana happened,” Luca grumbled before pulling off his shoes. “She showed up while we were out training, there was nothing I could do.”

Nothing he could do? Mandie looked at Alice again, she seemed fine but… Her eyes were blank and her skin looked a lot paler now that Mandie was up close. “Where’s Nia?” Mandie asked. There was still a chance-

“I’m betting Cana took her.” The voice had come from behind Mandie. She instantly spun around. Phyllis, Phyllis had said that. How did she know? That didn’t matter, why didn’t she say anything?

“You knew and you didn’t tell me?” Mandie growled. This was just perfect, what was she supposed to do now? Just wonder around the forest till she found the demon that presided over memories? Then what? It’s not like she could make a deal with the damned thing. Why hadn’t Phyllis told her? Mandie could’ve helped, she could’ve stopped this from happening.

Phyllis’s nostrils flared. “Mandie, if it’s not too much trouble would you come with me, I’d like to speak with you in private. Luca, get cleaned up then make dinner, everyone’s going to need their energy.” She turned without another word and calmly ascended the rickety old staircase that lead up to the only two rooms in this building.

Mandie followed wordlessly. What else could she do? There was no way they would let her out in the dark. Actually, there was no way they could convince her to go out into that forest in the dark. It wasn’t particularly haunted or anything, but the thought of being attack by a spirit that could alter memories, that was enough to keep Mandie inside.

The room Phyllis had lead her too was filled to the brim with books and papers, all on the history of this place Mandie guessed. Although, somehow, it was very neat. Nothing seemed out of it’s place and the only thing covering the floor was a beautifully embroidered rug depicting a silver wolf. A small bed was shoved into one of the corners with a trunk at the end, and other than the desk by the window the room was filled with book shelves.

The door clicked shut.

“You knew and you didn’t-”

“I only figured it out seconds after that burst of energy,” Phyllis explained, her voice remaining calm and controlled. “Though it doesn’t entirely make sense,” she said with a hardened voice before brushing past Mandie and making her way over the dark wooden chest at the foot of the bed.

“What doesn’t make sense?”

“Something like this happened seven years ago too. We had a magic surge here last time Cana was acting up too, it was the exact same as the one that happened this afternoon too.” Phyllis pulled an old photo album out of the trunk and flipped through the pages, searching for some specific photo.

“Exact same? Are you sure?” Mandie was doubtful that anyone could remember a specific magic signature for a year, much less seven.

“Of course. That’s not a power I’m soon likely to forget.” She paused when she found the photo she was looking for, then pulled it out of the sleeve. “I was meditating when it happened last time and a sliver of that energy got lodged in my soul. It’s not harmful, but it sure as hell has been hard to keep completely suppressed.”

Mandie attempted to peak at the photo Phyllis had pulled out, but she could only make out two vaguely human shaped figures.

“It doesn’t normally cause me any real problems,” Phyllis continued. “But today it’s been particularly agitated. It wasn’t until that burst earlier that I realized she was here.” She handed over the photo.

Mandie accepted it, her eyes snapped directly to where a little girl was in the photo. But that was… that was impossible. She couldn’t have been older than fourteen, but even with her long, pitch black hair up in pigtails and deathly pale skin, there was no mistaking her. It was Nia. She had the same eyes, the same deep brown, calculating, mischievous gaze.

It didn’t make sense. For this to actually be Nia the photo had to be at least a couple decades old. But the second figure in the frame was the real problem. Golden blond hair, fiery blue eyes, and an imposing, powerful presence. How the hell was Kiyan Statson in this picture?

The only possibility was that Nia was already a ghost at this point, but that could only be true if  Alice really was a Tamer.  Even then, Kiyan would’ve had to be a Tamer too, which she wasn’t, and Nia couldn’t have aged at all between the time this photo was taken and now. And that still didn’t explain how Alice and Nia had a summoner type relationship.

Mandie flipped the photo over, hoping to find something to explain this impossibility--what she found just confused her more. ‘Nia and Kiyan Statson, 2011’ was inscribed on the upper left.

This couldn’t be real. “Is this a joke?” Mandie asked. If it was a joke, it wasn’t very funny. She flashed the photo back in Phyllis’s direction, “Who is this?”

“She came up with Kiyan seven years ago when something similar happened. I just assumed she was Kiyan’s partner since she was highly adept with spiritual barriers and communication.”

“The two things Kiyan was absolute trash at,” Mandie mused, still staring at the photo with disbelief.

“Exactly, I figured if anyone knew anything it would be you.”

Mandie looked up from the photo, “Why me?”

“Well, you were the one training her then,” Phyllis said. “If anyone knew about her mysterious partner it had to be you.” Phyllis had a point. Mandie should’ve been the first to hear about Kiyan’s partner. Actually, she should’ve been the one to find her partner. But, as far as she had known, Kiyan had always elected to be a solo fighter.

“I had no clue she even had a partner.”

“I see. So you don’t know any more about her than I do.” Phyllis grabbed the photo, placed it back in the album, and shoved the book back into the chest.

“I’m afraid not.”

“If you’ve got questions I’d be happy to answer them, though I can’t guarantee I’ve got all the answers you may want.” Phyllis offered.

“You said it was the same thing a seven years ago, what happened then?” If Mandie knew how everything had played out before, there was a chance she could get Nia back quickly and solve the problem with Cana.

Phyllis shrugged. “I’m not exactly sure what happened last time.”

“What?” She’d been the head of this hotel at the time. How could she not know what happened the last time Cana acted up?

“I called the Oregon hotel to tell them we needed help, and they sent up Kiyan and Nia the next day. That afternoon the two girls went out to check out the forest, Kiyan was the only one to return, though she didn’t seem to be worried. A day passed before Nia showed up, and since then we haven’t had any problems with Cana. Well, at least we hadn’t had any problems until about five days ago.”

“Five days ago?” Mandie asked. That was when Alice had first summoned Nia.

“Four or five, yes. But it was almost seven years ago, so I really don’t remember what all went on while that girl was missing, other than that burst of energy of course.”

“Hmm,” Mandie had no choice but to accept the facts she was being presented with. Even if this situation seemed impossible, there was a photo. Proof that Nia had been here seven years ago, and she’d been alive then.

Nia’s existence was becoming more complicated by the second. In normal circumstances some who died tragically wouldn’t become a summoning spirit until almost a century after they had died. Of course that was also assuming that they were old enough to get stuck on this side of the Fracture and they still held onto a will to live. For all that to be true, that photo had to’ve been taken at least a couple of decades ago.

But this wasn’t a normal case. Alice wasn’t a Summoner and Nia wasn’t a Summoning Spirit. Just who was Nia? She’d been partners with Kiyan, which lead Mandie to believe that she was an exorcist, or at least had been one at some point. But if that was true, why weren’t there any records of her? And why didn’t anyone seem to know she had existed?

Although, if Nia had been an exorcist it made a lot more sense with the powers she had expressed as a spirit. Her personality made more sense too. But that still didn’t explain how she, if it had been her, had cast Ren. That alone was a power not to be taken lightly. What else could she be hiding about herself?

Mandie needed more information. She needed to talk with Kiyan. She couldn’t stop herself from thinking of Sebastian too. He had seemed to know something, and he’d suggest that Mandie should look into some Bastion files. Was it possible that Nia was-

No. There was no way. Everyone in those files were accounted for. Besides, Nia herself had admitted that she would’ve lost to a low level dark spirit if she had taken him head on. Mandie couldn't recall seeing a single person in the old Bastion records that couldn’t easily take on a dark spirit. At least that was good.

But Nia was still missing. And there was no knowing what Cana would do with her. Mandie knew better than anyone that Nia could be dead already, though Alice probably would’ve know if that was true. Seeing as she didn’t say anything, there was still hope. Hope at least to get the spirit back in one piece, though Mandie couldn’t guarantee that her mind would still be intact.

“What do we do now?” Mandie asked. She’d go after Cana right now if it meant getting Nia back.

“We wait. Cana went into hiding shortly after that surge of magic, but she’ll be back out tomorrow night for the full moon. You’ll be able to bargain with her then if you dare, but for now you should comfort that poor girl down there. Who knows what she’s going through right now.” Phyllis breathed deeply and headed towards the door. This conversation was over.

***

Alice felt empty. It’s not that she didn’t feel anything, she just felt like something was missing. That some part of her was missing. Luca had said that she should be thankful for that. Thankful that Nia had cut their emotional connection when it had happened.

What had happened? Alice had been right there, she’d seen it all unfold right before her eyes, yet she still wasn’t sure. She didn’t think Luca knew either. One second everything had been fine, and then… It was all to blurred together. The surge of energy, the flash of light, the laugh, the smell of blood.

It still clung to her. That unmistakable mixture of iron and death. She didn’t know where it had come from. Luca maybe, but his cuts were only minor. Was it Nia? Could ghosts bleed?

She wasn’t dead, right? Alice would know if she was gone. She would feel it. Or so she thought, she wasn’t sure. Luca hadn’t said anything. Neither had Gale, or Chase, or Jackson. Maybe they didn’t know what to say? Maybe they didn’t know something was wrong.

No. Gale would know for sure. So would Jackson, he was a sensor after all, and if Jackson knew Chase knew too.

Everything felt different. The world seemed duller, less precise. She hadn’t noticed it before, but her connection to Nia had changed her. Now that Nia was gone-

No, not gone. Absant. She had to believe that Nia was still there.

Now that Nia was absent, she notice the difference. The difference between having magic and not. Alice felt powerless. The moment their connection had been cut she felt powerless. Had she only had magic because of Nia? She was fine with that if it was true, she just didn’t want that sensation to be gone. Not when she had just started getting used to it.

Five days. Five days of craziness and life changing events was all she had. Would she have to give that up now? Would she need to go back to her normal life if they couldn’t-

She didn’t want to think about that. They would get Nia back, Mandie would make sure of it. But at what cost? There was always a cost, Alice had read enough books to know that.

A warm hand touched her shoulder. How long had she been staring at the fire? She looked up and met Mandie’s soft green eyes.

“Are you doing alright?”

Alice thought for a moment. We she doing alright? It’s not like she was hurt. It’s not like she was in any immediate danger. But everything was changing again. For the second time this week her whole world was shifting dramatically.

“I-I don’t know…”

Mandie sat next her, “That’s fine, no one expects you to know right now. You just need to relax, everything will be better tomorrow.”

Alice closed her eyes and leaned against Mandie, she felt safe sitting next to the exorcist. It wasn’t that same as how she felt around Nia, or Gale even. She trusted Gale, and Nia made her feel powerful, untouchable almost. But with Mandie, she couldn’t describe it. It was almost the same as when she was with her mother, or Billie even, that feeling that no one could hurt her because they wouldn’t let that happen.

“How can you be sure?”

“I can’t, but I can hope. Hope is all I’ve got.”

Alice just lay there realizing exactly how tired she was. Before she knew it the crackling of the fire and Mandie’s rhythmic breaths lulled her off to sleep.

***

The next morning Cana was still nowhere to be found, not that that stopped Mandie and Gale from going out and looking for themselves. They found nothing, but at least they’d been occupied for a little while. Even if they had come up empty handed it still felt better than sitting around and doing nothing. Which is what they had done for the rest of the afternoon.

At least until the sun set. Phyllis was adamant that Cana would be out as soon as the moon rose. Being the night of the full moon, it was her duty to patrol the forest whether she wanted to or not. So, if they were able to find her, chances were likely that they’d be able to bargain with her. While Phyllis was able to provide a map of likely locations to find Cana, she wasn’t able to give them any idea of what the spirit might ask for.

However, before she sent them into the forest she did warn them to watch their words carefully, and keep their wits about them. Cana would probably try to manipulate them if she felt she could, so it was best not to show any fear. With that, they had sent out into the frost covered forest.

Mandie had made sure to study the map thoroughly before they headed out into the woods, that way she would be able to navigate the fastest routes without having to pull out the map every ten seconds. She also didn’t want to struggle with deciphering the map in the dark. While they did have flashlights, she figured it would be best to only use the light of the full moon, especially since they were trying to stay on Cana’s good side.

They wound their way through tree after tree, making sure not to stop. It wasn’t that stopping would affect the outcome of any deal they tried to make, they just didn’t want the cold to catch up with them. Wherever they tried to summon her they’d have to stay there for a while, so it was best to stay warm now.

However, even with their four layers of clothes, winter boots, and pockets stuffed with pocket warmers, the cold was still managing to seep into their skin. This wasn’t going to be pleasant, especially not with the breeze that was starting to pick up.

It didn’t take long for them to reach their first location. It was a small clearing right next to the lake. The water reflected the moon beautifully, giving the appearance of a lake filled to the brim with shining, liquid silver. Mandie finished pulling herself through the group of trees that grew closely around the clearing, then she pulled Gale off of the branches he’d gotten stuck on--though Mandie was pretty sure his scarf wasn’t going to be getting out of those branches soon.

“You ready?” Mandie asked? Gale would need to sit and meditate on the frozen ground until Cana responded or he was certain she wasn’t nearby, which could take much longer than Mandie was comfortable with. To call Cana, Gale would have to draw on his powers and cross partway over into the spirit world. This alone would drop his body temperature rapidly, and the cold ground and wind wouldn’t help. This could get dangerous.

Gale pulled off one of his thinner jackets and laid it across the frosty leaves that covered the ground. He sat on the jacket and pulled out one of his pocket warmers, situating it in his hands so it wouldn’t fall out while he was meditating.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” he breathed out, already forcing his heart rate to drop.

“If I think you’re in trouble I’m pulling you back,” he nodded, “Alright, stay safe.” Even before the words had left her mouth he was out of touch with reality. A light blue glow started to emanate from Gale’s body, resonating with the clearing.

Mandie leaned against one of the trees surrounding the clearing that wasn’t covered in minty-green needles and waited. She made sure to keep her eye on Gale, but other than checking in on him every few minutes she zoned out.

“Well hello Mandie Smoke.”

Mandie’s eyes shot open. She hadn’t sensed anything approach, but that voice. She wasn’t sure if she’d heard it or not. It had sounded like the entire clearing had spoken, not just a single voice. She was tired, she could’ve imagined it. So she waited.

“Aren’t you going to say hello back?”

She definitely hadn’t imagined it, but where was it coming from? Mandie made sure to stay calm. She didn’t freak out as she looked around the clearing for where the voice might’ve been coming from. Chances were she had already seen Cana, but she’d never know it unless the spirit decided to reveal herself.

“Hello deity of the Silver Forest.” It was always best to start with flattery.

The gentle laughter filled the clearing. “Don’t do that, it doesn’t suit you. Just call me Cana.”

“Alright then Cana, before we get any further, I must tell you that I don’t enjoy talking to something I can’t see.”

“Same goes for me,” the voice laughed. “Although I must say,” this time the voice was only coming from just across the clearing. Mandie scanned that side of the forest, searching for the exact location. Mandie’s eyes shot up as something moved in one of the trees. There she was.

Sleek grey hair, slightly pointed ears, clothes resembling fur, there was no doubt about it, this was Cana. The girls yellow eyes rolled down Mandie’s body and a wolf-like grin crossed her face. “Your boy is quite impressive.”

“Gale? He better be, he’s a nine year Purison.”

“Nine years, really? I thought that was illegal.” Cana’s eyes were focused on Gale now. This isn’t how Mandie had wanted this to go, she needed to get them on track.

“The limit is ten. But-”

“Ten? How boring!” Cana’s eyes were back on Mandie. Good, just let her forget about Gale. “Why not at least let it go to eleven,” she smiled, her canines glinting in the moonlight.

“You know damn well why. Now can we get down to the reason why I’m here?”

Cana smiled again, obviously pleased that she’d managed to get Mandie pissed. “Of course, what are you here for? It’s not everyday someone actually wants to talk to me.”

“I’m here to bargain with you.” Mandie didn’t want this getting any farther off track, she needed to get this done soon. Gale seemed to be doing fine for now, but she didn’t know how much longer he could last.

“Bargain? What on earth could someone like you want from little old me?” She asked, her tone dripping with sweetness.

“I’m here for Nia.”

“That poor girl? Are you sure?” Cana looked legitimately confused. Not like she was playing at something or trying to swing a better deal for herself, but that she literally didn’t know why Mandie might want Nia.

“I am,”

“Why?”

“She belongs to my Summoner.” Mandie made sure not to give her any more information than was necessary. If Cana knew how dangerous Mandie thought Nia was this wouldn’t go well.

“Is she? Well, as things stand now I’d be more than happy to give her back to you,” Cana smiled brightly, malice weaved through her voice. “I’m just afraid you won’t want her anymore,” she placed a finger delicately on her lips and looked at Mandie with an innocent gaze.

Oh no, that wasn’t good. “What did you do to her?” Mandie demanded. Spirits like this, they’re cruel beings, if they find something they hate they will tear it apart. They’ve been known to tear down entire reserves because they simply became bored with the plights of humans. Mandie couldn’t even began to conceive thoughts of what terrible things Cana might have done to Nia while they were alone.

Cana jump off her branch with a level of grace only an ancient spirit could have. She landed on the silvery waters of the moon lit lake without a ripple, and turned towards Mandie. “I’m afraid I forgot how fragile she had always been. Both physically and mentally.”

This was bad.

“Something like this is best left to a divine being, not something like you,” her lips curled with her last few words.

Mandie took a step forward, she needed to assert herself. She needed to show that she was boss here. “I’ll ask again. What did you do?” Brows furrowed, tone dropped, stance firm. She was in control.

A hint of pride and cruelty seeped into Cana’s smile, she chucked. “I’m afraid I’ve broken your precious Summoner’s spirit.”

This was really bad. Even Mandie couldn’t keep her panic from flashing across her face. Thankfully Cana didn’t see, or, if she did, she wasn’t going to push on it.

“There was just so much sitting there right behind the veil I couldn’t help myself. But the damage has been done, she has access to everything from her past, and from what I’ve seen, it wont be long now until her mind shatters. Are you sure you really want to deal with that? The pain, the torture, the suffering. Haven’t you already dealt with enough of that for a lifetime?”

Mandie could feel the wolf digging around in her mind. Searching through her memories, looking for ways to control her with her past. Mandie tried to push her out, but it was no use. As far as she knew, Cana was centuries old. Mandie may’ve been skilled, but even she wouldn’t succeed against something like this. Besides, she was right. Mandie had seen more than enough pain to fill a lifetime. The fall of the Bastion had made sure of that.

Cana shrugged, “How’s this, I’ll make you a deal?”

Normally Mandie would’ve refused if she wasn’t the one setting the conditions, but this was probably the best offer she’d get. This was actually the only offer she’d get. Her only chance to get Nia back. If she didn’t accept the bargaining would be done, and Nia would be gone.

“I’ll give you Nia, but you must give me something in return,” she held out her hand.

“What do you want?” Mandie bit back the words as they left her mouth.

Cana looked off over the lake, then turned back to Mandie with such ferocity in her eyes that the exorcist felt her heart skip a beat and was tempted to take a step back. She forced herself to stay where she was, any movement now would show weakness.

“There’s a man in her memories,” Cana growled, her teeth becoming sharper, more fang like with every word. The temperature of the air dropped, forming ice along the shore of the lake and over every puddle and drop of dew. “Dark shaggy hair and impossibly light eyes.”

The pressure increased, Mandie staggered against the weight and bone shattering cracks sounded across the empty frozen lake. Her eyes flashed to Gale, he seemed to be doing generally fine, but this needed to end now.

Cana wasn’t playing around any more. This wasn’t a request, it wasn’t a favour. This was the spirit showing just how strong she was. Exactly what Mandie would face if she refused or turned on the spirit.

“You’re going to tell me who he is.”

“Why should I do that?” Mandie’s voice wavered. She couldn’t take much more of this, her muscles were already strained as is, and she didn’t want to add her bones to that list.

“Because,” the energy tapered off, “I’m going to kill him.”

With the look she was giving Mandie there was no doubt in the exorcists mind that Cana could persuade kings to hand over their kingdoms with the seriousness and ferocity in her eyes. But Mandie couldn’t promise anything.

“I’ll do what I can,” Mandie replied. That was honestly the best answer she could give the spirit, anything else would be a lie.

“I expect only the best.” Cana’s calculating look returned to her eyes. Mandie knew better than to ask what the wolf was planning, but she couldn’t help but think of what might come from this exchange. Would she really allow someone's life to be put in danger in return for a single spirit?

Mandie reached out and shook the deities hand. Nia wasn’t normal, who knew what trouble would come from leaving her in the hands of something like Cana. Besides, if Nia had memories that Cana wanted, Mandie would undoubtedly like to know what they were.

A harsh white light filled the clearing. Mandie blocked her eyes, but a moment later it was gone. When she looked around again Cana was gone, but Nia lay unconscious at her feet somehow still holding a physical form.

Something wasn’t right, Nia should’ve reverted back into a spirit as soon as she was knocked out. Just what did Cana do to her?

“She’ll wake up in a few hours,” Cana’s silvery voice filled the clearing, but she was still nowhere to be seen. “I suggest that someone’s around when she wakes up. But that’s just my two cents.”



© 2017 Zoë


Author's Note

Zoë
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Does everything make sense?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on February 4, 2017
Last Updated on February 4, 2017
Tags: ghosts, magic, supernatural, Mandie, Alice


Author

Zoë
Zoë

NM



About
I've been interested in writing for years, although I only recently got serious about it. As a writer who's just starting off I would love for people to take the time to review my work and tell me how.. more..

Writing
Who am I Who am I

A Poem by Zoë


Amaranth Amaranth

A Poem by Zoë


Rhyme Crime Rhyme Crime

A Poem by Zoë