Spector

Spector

A Story by Wilddragone
"

It’s about a blind dragon who can do more than anyone thinks.

"
Magenta = I might change it
Blue= what I might change it to
Name ideas: Pisco, Cara, Harpy/Harp, Eagle,

Story direction: Begins with Spector washed away by flood. Learns she has powers. (maybe a beam of light, surge of energy?) something happens to the tribe that she is with, leaving her, Lark and Dart, to figure out what to do. They decide to go to Specters tribe.(a type of water dragon without gills) Dart hurt their wing at some point. On the way they coddle Spector, until they come across a blind creature(either a dragon, drake, or some other creatures hunting perfectly fine.) and start to let Spector grow. She practices her power. They meet Owl. Owl fights them and leaves them for dead. They make it to Spector’s tribe's home. Tribe not there. They find a different tribe there instead. (Fire breathing dragons). Storm. Specter goes to river. Fights Owl.

Beginning 1.
“The egg is hatching!”
“Now? During an eclipse?”
“Yes, now hurry!”
“But, its bad luck for egg to hatch during an ecl-”
“I know it's bad! The egg is still hatching.”
“And the other eggs?”
“They're fine. I wonder what will be wrong with this hatchling.”

Beginning 2.
“ Beware the one who has the dark, for they will
find the gloom amongst the light.
Seek out the one who was hatched by night at day,
Watch for the one who was,
The Globe of life rests on their scales,
They will change a force, they will humble the earth
Seek them when the ground shakes,
When the sky cannot be seen,
Or the shadows will take it all,
And darkness will befall the earth”


Chapter one
Specter was bored. There was nothing to do. She could hear the excited shouts and screams of her kin as they played outside.
“I wish I could go outside.” Spector muttered.
“Absolutely not! I don’t know where you get these ideas, but it’s much too dangerous for you!” Screeched Jacinth, Specter’s older sister.. “It’s not safe for a blind dragon out there.”
“Nice of you to stop pretending you’re not there.” Huffed Specter. “And if I can’t be outside for 10 minutes, it certainly sounds safe for brain-dead newly-hatched chicks to wander around.”
“Well… you could drown!” Yelped Jacinth uncertainty.
“In what, the-” started Specter
“Yes in the river!”
“It's not deep. With webbed feet, a tail designed for swimming, and large capacity lungs, I could be underwater up to a day, a week when I’m full grown.”
“And Specter destroys her older sister’s logic, with real logic! You heard it here folks! A blind dragon that hasn’t been outside, has better knowledge about her anatomy!” This cheeky voice belonged to Benitoite, Ben for short. One of Specter’s kin. And the only one who treated her like a dragon, not a magnisiolite vase.
Swiveling towards her brother, Specter asked “What have you done in the past hour?”
“Nothing much, I found a nice chunk of Phosphophyllite. I’m very proud of it.”
“Do you-”
“Where is it?” Jumped in Jacinth “Phosphophyllite is very rare you know. So, how big is your piece? What color? Where did you find it? ”
“ All right, let me tell you something, Phosphophyllite isn’t rare, it’s-” began Spector.
“Well it has to be rare, I haven’t heard anybody say anything about finding some, or that they sold some.” Interrupted Jacinth. “And besides, what would you know about it?”
“More than you do apparently, Phosphophyllite isn’t a rock. It’s-” Specter paused, feeling the ground.
“Well? What is it?” Jacinth asked.
“Shh, what is it Specter? What made you stop?” Asked Ben gently. Suddenly Spector stood upright and charged to the doorway.
“Get out of the way!” Hissed Spector. And in a louder voice shouted, “Lookout! There’s a flash flood coming!”
“Get back here! No one’s even listening!” Snarled Jacinth.
“No, wait, Jacinth, feel the ground! It’s… rumbling. Spector’s right.” Ben intercepted Jacinth. Then, as the shocking news dawned on her, Jacinth started shrieking.
“Run! Fly! Hurry! Flood!” And then she flew off. Still shrieking. As the message sank in, there was a burst of commotion. And dragons started shrieking and yelling
“Alex! Alexandrite where are you?”
“Silica!”
“Get out here!” Shouted Kyanite, his sweetheart who he didn’t care much about. Spector had run out of her home when she was knocked over by a random dragon. Spector hit the ground hard, much harder than she expected to. And there was water around her feet. The horrible reality hit her, she was in the riverway! Her mind flashed back to when Ben had explained it.
“The riverway is a deep, wide ditch. The river runs through it. But if a flash flood were to come, the tight walls of the valley would lessen the flow, and direct the water into the riverway and sweep it out. You never want to be stuck in the riverway.” The rumbling now was audible as well as making the ground tremble. Spector jumped and sank her claws into the wet soil and tried to climb out, cursing the fact that her mother, father, and 4 kin, had never thought to teach her to fly.
“Spector!” Shrieked Ben. The spray hit her and Spector redoubled her efforts to get out of the riverway. The water started to pool around her knees. Then the world was wet, and full of swirling water. Spector was swirled around, when she hit a boulder with many sharp points.
“Ackthbt” Spector sputtered, and felt the need to breathe sharpen, as she accidentally exhaled. Forcing herself not to inhale Spector flailed in the current.
“Blurg!” Spector’s head broke through the surface of the water.
Is it raining, or is it the spray from the flood. Spector wondered dizzily. She tried to keep her head above the water.
“Ahh!!” Spector shrieked, unwilling swallowing more water, as a log hit her. Spector was pushed under the water and flipped upside down.
If I grab the log, I can… I can… breath.. Spector struggled to form a thought. Her body hurt all over and her wings felt like dead weights, doing their best to drag Spector down. Suddenly one of Spector’s dead-weight-wings got caught on one of the logs branches. The branch flipped Spector over out of the water and onto the top of the log. Spector locked her claws into the sodden wood of the log. Aching all over and exhausted, Spector drifted into a nightmare riddled sleep.
“There! There’s a dragon! They lo… you’re safe now… help you...” a jumble of voices sounded in Spector’s ears, and then, nothingness.


Chapter two


It was warm. Spector felt tense but she didn’t know why. Also everything hurt. Spector laid there, wondering why everything hurt. How could everything hurt if she was at home… Suddenly Spector remembered. The riverway…The flood… The log… Voices…. Where was she? It smelled like the healers cave at home, just, different.
“Little dragon? Are you awake?” Asked a kind voice. With what strength she had left, Spector raised her head and opened her eyes. Or, at least she tried to open her eyes.
“What happened? Who are you? Where am I? What’s on my eyes?” Spector asked hysterically and started to stand.
“Hey, hey! Calm down.” Commanded the voice. At the same time Spector felt talons gently push her down and pin her.
“My name is Dart. This is the healers tree. We found you clinging to a log in the afterwater of a massive flood. The other dragon here is Lark. You have seaweed and leaf bandages on your eye, I’m afraid that the flood cut you up, and you swallowed a ton of water. But… the… you won’t see ever again!” Blurted Dart. “Your eyes were damaged by flood debris.” An awkward silence followed.
“But, I never could see.” Spector broke the awkward moment.
“Oh, well. Uh. I guess we can remove the seaweed. Lark!” Dart called out. A few moments later the odd feeling bandages were removed.
“Thank you” the relief obvious in her voice, Spector opened her mouth to better scent Lark and Dart. She smelled herself, a dragon right next to her, most likely Lark. Then a dragon who she assumed to be Dart, for her scent came from the same area as her voice. A new scent tickled her nostrils. It was woven in with scents of the herbs. The scent was of a dragon.
“Who else is there?” Spector asked. Spector’s ears strained to a replay. Instead she heard a whisp that easily could have been a leaf.
A few moments later Dart responded.
“That was Owl. He’s another one we found in the river. He has feather wings. He can change the colors of his scales. He supposedly mastered the art of silence at a young age. ”
“Yah, he said that that’s why his name is Owl.” Lark added on. “We have no idea what tribe he’s from. And he won’t tell us.”
With a whoosh of wind a new voice called
“Dart! Lark! Where is that chick? I was told by Owl to look at her wings. Are they torn? Is there a rip?” A flustered sounding dragon entered and stopped.
“Hi Tempest. She is awake, and she is naturally blind! The river didn’t harm her other than a few cuts and bruises.” Lark answered cheerfully.
“Well, what about her wings?” Asked Tempest.
“It’s probably because I’ve never flown before, so my wings are most likely skinnier and weaker than you are used to.” Spector interjected.
“Well that’s going to change immediately!” Tempest roared. “”

© 2021 Wilddragone


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on May 7, 2021
Last Updated on May 7, 2021

Author