Duty

Duty

A Story by Amit
"

In my childhood I learned this story. It is a short simple story. But it contains morals.

"
Once upon a time, there was a certain kingdom. The king of that kingdom was very kind-hearted. He used to travel in his kingdom in disguise to know about his people.
Once he listened about a saint from his minister. The saint was living far from the palace in the forest. But he was known for his dutifulness and simple lifestyle. The king was curious to know more about the saint. So he disguised himself and went to the saint. When he reached the saint. The saint was going to take his bath in the river. So he asked the disguised king to wait for him. The king stood their and was waiting for the king.
Then the king noticed a strange thing happening their. A scorpion was floating in the river. The saint was trying to put  it out and save it's life. But the scorpion was stinging him again and again as he was trying to save it. Finally after several trials the saint saved the scorpion. The saint finished his bath and came out.
The king asked,"O, saint, you helped the scorpion but it was harming you, I want to know why you did so?". The saint smiled and answered,"It was the duty of the scorpion to sting, but it was my duty to help others as per my capacity."
The king smiled and greeted the saint with respect.

You have a right to perform your prescribed duties, but you are not entitled to the fruits of your actions. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities, nor be attached to inaction.
-Bhagbat Gita

© 2018 Amit


Author's Note

Amit
Hope you all like it...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on July 20, 2018
Last Updated on July 20, 2018
Tags: duty, moral story, king, saint, kingdom

Author

Amit
Amit

Kendrapara, Odisha, India



Writing
Fear Fear

A Poem by Amit