A Day In The Museum

A Day In The Museum

A Story by Stacy Purvis

It was chilly that morning- the day we spent in the museum. I took the train to satisfy my unquenchable thirst for the fantastic view of the countryside, and I was never disappointed. There were hills of gregarious and lustrous green, babbling brooks, creatures running free breathing air so crisp, and intimidating mountains scraping the sky in the distance.
Nature, in all its magnificent glory, and I, a speck of dust invading its space like so many before me. I was captivated and enraptured by its undeniable beauty. But suddenly, I was reminded that I was an invader, a beast, a man riding a train through its very soul, on tracks laid by men, who before me, raped and pillaged its flesh, and I was instantly repulsed by my reflection in the glass as I sat quietly in seat 33A and desecrated its very being. 
A tear rolled down my cheek and I thought to myself, "Man...is truly the beast...a beast of burden". 
Who the f*ck do we think we are? Cutting down trees, building shopping malls and more f*cking condos? We don't NEED more shopping malls and condos. Soon, there won't be any countryside, no trees to cleanse our air no lakes or landscapes with rivers running through it...only concrete jungles in decay.
I became sick to my stomach as I traveled on the train through the countryside with tears rolling down my cheeks on my way to the museum. 
When I arrived at the station, I caught a glimpse of your beautiful, smiling face awaiting me, and my heart began to beat again, hopefully.
I pushed my painful thoughts of the landscapes away and concentrated (instead) on you and the macroscopic museum which lie in wait for us.
It was in the sacred minds of the artists there that I found salvation once more; a reminder that not all men are beasts, but rather, some are saviors of the broken and damned, victims of themselves.
I became grateful once again, as I held your hand and we shared a day in the museum.

© 2020 Stacy Purvis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The way you've written this Anastasia, it just seems so perfect!
I was engaged from the start, and was devouring the imagery and emotions you provided!
Like the anger of us humans, cutting down trees, using the land unwisely...
I totally agree!
But there are some us, as mentioned in the story, that are really good human beings!
Keep it up Anastasia, well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Anastasia,
A wonderful description of an unspoiled countryside. You show the footprints man leaves on Mother Nature in the name of progress yet are able to return to positive character of humans. Nice writing!
Peace,
Richie b.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wow this made my hair raise up.

"a reminder that not all men are beasts, but rather, some are saviors of the broken and damned, victims of themselves." I held my breath as I read this line.

Wonderfully written

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is very well penned! Awesome!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I like the sentiment expressed here, Anastasia. It speaks to a lot of us who think Nature has little chance against the absurdities of Man...

As a short story it works, but maybe would benefit from being expanded a bit...

Why does the protagonist suddenly veer into disgust and hatred? What triggered the reaction?

I think I'd like to see more of this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


You've added so many ingredients to this feast.. from what starts as a journey, no more no less. But your journey turns out to be a lesson in how to respect and also to regret. Your words takes the reader through the wonders of Nature, heart-stopping wonders of its panorama, and then, dear Lord, its slaughter by Man. The writers thoughts, regrets, then the sadness and hope for survival. Love waits, smiling.. welcome before.. before that cool wander about the beauty already stored.. but copies.

Posted 6 Years Ago


So beautiful!! I'm in love with this piece. So much to be seen in contrast, so much to be learned groom knowing that not all "beasts" have the same intentions. Keep writing and sharing with us, we are eating it up!

Posted 6 Years Ago


very, very true!! this is not our home it's the bees, birds, squirrels home we're guest here!! beautifully put and it speaks the truth inside you!!!!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This really is a well-penned, fantastic bit of image-weaving. However, I take the mildest umbrage with only a single word, here. "gregarious"
It seems to be out of place.
I could be completely foolish for saying so.
I really like this.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Great message through beautiful expression. Love it. Keep sharing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Very nicely done. The despoliation of the natural beauty of our countryside by major corporations purely for profit is something that offends many of us deeply. Let's be glad we live in a huge country and hope we can control the spoilers before they destroy it all!

Posted 6 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1386 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 11, 2017
Last Updated on June 10, 2020
Tags: nature, beauty, destruction, man, beast, concrete, writing, story, a day in the museum, xosassystaceox, sassystace, writer

Author

Stacy Purvis
Stacy Purvis

Columbus, OH



About
Altruistic Enigmatic Polymath | Writer, Poet, Actress, Musician, EMT. I'm an Artist. I paint pictures of the verbal kind. ☯ 333 more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..