Brenda Spies The Blundon House

Brenda Spies The Blundon House

A Chapter by Edwina
"

An empty house with a tragic history begs for a new owner.

"
Brenda loved Daniel for his ability to be tough with criminals, and gentle with her and her eccentric ideas. The car accident had been a blessing in disguise, albeit a painful recovery for him. With a detective job lined up, and a higher salary, he could concentrate on saving up for his future. At 40, society expected men to be settled down with at least 4 children, and a decent job. Brenda hadn't done any of it. She had somehow managed to escape the "norm" and wanted to live life her way. She loved men, but they didn't bring her any lasting happiness until she met Daniel.

One Monday morning when Daniel was at the University, she walked to Dumm's corner, and got a little pasta salad, and apple juice to take back to the shop. Harriet Wilson, a pharmacist's wife, had approached Brenda about buying an old Victorian Dresser with a mirror, and marble top. Brenda saw her, and smiled. It just so happened that Harriet lived down on Lafayette avenue next to Oliver Street. 

Brenda left her snack with the clerk, and walked to Mrs. Wilson's house. The dresser was beautiful, and asking price was 300 dollars. Brenda paid cash, but asked Harriet to cover it with a sheet, and she would "fetch it in a week." On the way out of the house, Brenda glanced to her left, and gasped. A large "Four Square" Queen Anne style home sat in the middle of an acre lot abandoned.

Harriet told her a few things about the Blundons, the train accidents, and the house itself. It was bank owned, but there were restrictions. As far as she knew, it was for sale, but Mr. Griffin, the local Preservationist for the Historical Society, had an absolute say in who could buy it. The former owners swore it was haunted, and defaulted on the mortgage. Brenda asked how she could contact Mr. Griffin, and asked  Harriet if she had ever been inside. Harried said that she had, and that it was "beautiful."

The two women walked back to the grocery store, and Harriet gave Brenda the name of  the bank official who could tell her more about the home. Lorraine Davis was the woman to see. The mysterious Mr. Griffin would be available through Miss Davis "in due time."

Miss Brenda Grayson would have to be interviewed, and probed by the Gods, and Goddesses of high finance, not to mention the neighborhood protocol.

C J Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
Added on December 2, 2013
Last Updated on December 2, 2013
Tags: House, demolition, preservation, notoriety

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina