Don't Tell Daniel

Don't Tell Daniel

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Keeping a secret for now

"
 
Brenda had a light lunch, and decorated the front window with her mannequins Shirley, and Robert. Both wore sweaters, and plaid accessories to go with their "almost Autumn" casual wear. They stood proudly above an Autumn picnic setting that featured  a wicker basket, a thermos, two folding chairs, and an assortment of fake foods. She placed a stuffed toy mohair cat, and yellow dog on the blanket facing the food items. Everything was for sale except Shirley, and Robert. Her lighting consisted of a fake plastic " Hunters" moon hung above the mannequins heads.

Daniel called to invite her to dinner, and said he would pick her up at her apartment at 6. She knew that she had to keep the house situation a secret even though she wanted badly to take him to the historical Society when she made her case as a potential "steward" for the famous home. How on earth would she be able to NOT blurt out something during dinner ?

Daniel waited while she put on her red heart shaped earrings. They kissed a bit before she applied her "apple red" lipstick and headed off to The Italian Garden restaurant. Daniel smelled good. He always smelled like Ivory soap. He didn't talk as much as he usually did, but she wrote it off to his new job as a "budding detective."  He always made her feel like she was on equal ground. Keeping their relationship a secret had been easy so far. 

He mentioned a young woman Betty Kipman a few times, who had had essentially given up on ever marrying him, or so he thought.  Who could possibly ever steal him away ? Brenda kept her emotional guard up to a moderate degree. He might want children someday. He should have some. He was smart, good looking, and a hard worker.  But she wanted as much as he was willing to give her for as long as he could, no matter what the future held.

C J Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
Added on December 3, 2013
Last Updated on December 3, 2013

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina