Bubble Lights

Bubble Lights

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Shopping In Washington DC For Christmas Pretties

"
 The Blundon house was getting a "buff and shine" everywhere except the basement. Brenda always paid her helpers xtra, and with Christmas around the corner, she was extra generous. Daniel stayed busy with his cases. 

He and Brenda headed into Washington D.C. on Saturday to shop at the big fancy department stores, and have an equally fancy lunch. The window displays attracted large crowds. There were toy scenes, snow scenes, and several Victorian settings. Some of her youth had been spent in Washington D.C. She could have pursued a career as a window decorator, but chose to carry on the family business in a quiet little town. 

That fact made her feel a bit closer to Mr. Blundon. He came from a large upper middle class family, and had spent a great deal of time working in Washington D.C. buying and selling real estate. Riverdale Park had, at one time, been very rural.

Before they left for home, she and Daniel stopped at a Woolworth's store to buy 10 sets of Bubble Lights.  The colorful liquid filled lights would adorn the tree in her main window, and illuminate the Blundons as they pondered a table full of presents, and fake food. 

They also stopped at a deli to pick up something light for dinner, and take it home. There were a few snow flurries, but they quit when they pulled into the driveway. Daniel poured  2 glasses of wine, and headed to the dining room table. Brenda put Beethoven on the record player, and served the simple meal. Daniel jumped up quickly, grabbed a match, and lit the candles. He was in a romantic mood.

Brenda had the piano tuned, but didn't know how to play. She would have to hire someone to play Christmas tunes for an hour Christmas Eve just before the guests had to clear out. Fannie Blundon would have had everyone singing carols, and dancing around. 

Christmas day would be strictly family. The Waters Family, The Browns, and the Blundons, but "probably" never stayed at the big house in Winter, so Brenda was simply pipe dreaming. Oh, to find someone who knew everything about the Blundons. That is, everything they wished to share.

Daniel mentioned that he had seen a very large round table for sale in College Park that would make a great seance table. Twelve fancy wood chairs came with it, and the price was more than fair. Brenda ran for her pocketbook, but Daniel said "surprise, I already bought it."  Brenda kissed him then sat on his lap while she ate her pie. He didn't want to take a chance that she would buy another one not as beautiful as his. 

Brenda suggested they visit the Blundon graves one day at Mount Olivet Cemetery, and lay a nice wreath if they could find the headstones. She wanted to see about buying a 4 grave plot somewhere near their graves. She wasn't officially a Catholic any more, but the dead wouldn't mind that part.

Daniel slept with her that night. They didn't sleep together all the time. She wanted him to have his "gentleman space," and he wanted her to have her "lady world" when she needed solitude. 

Brenda had another dream about a little house by the trolley tracks. It was snowing, and a man was looking in through a window. The dream reminded her of the other dream when she was still living above the locksmith's shop.

C J. Marks
  


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
Added on December 6, 2013
Last Updated on August 8, 2014
Tags: Christmas, fun

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina