Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Reality sets in

"
Daniel arrived at the shop with a bouquet of red roses, and chocolates in a pink heart shaped box. There were several women already eating the red cake, and Brenda offered Daniel a piece. She thanked him for the flowers, and candy, then cut a big slice from the top tier. He dug in quickly with a red plastic fork, and wolfed down the cake. He would leave it to Brenda to explain the flowers and candy to the nosy women in the shop who couldn't stop staring at him. 

Brenda needed to work out communication codes, key words, and secret ways for talking in public, or on the telephone. When Daniel wanted to call her, and Caitlin was around, he simply called Brenda "Gerard, or Jerry" and used codes indicating when he would call her again.Caitlin and he would be living in the rental house in a few weeks, and Daniel knew that he would have separation anxieties for Brenda, much like when his parents died.

When he left the shop, she explained to the customers that he was a friend, and boarded at her home a few blocks away. He was getting married in a few days, and would be living with his bride in their little house just past the shoe repair man's place. 

The women  nodded, continued to eat cake, and periodically set trinkets on the counter that they wanted to buy. Brenda added that Daniel had even helped with the vacuuming on his days off. Eyebrows were raised with approval, and a few nods manifested as the women each polished off another piece of cake. 

Sales were more than satisfactory, and Brenda wandered home after putting the money into her old safe. She carried her candy and roses close to her chest. She held back her tears when she saw the house looking at her.

Daniel showed up very late, got undressed, and mumbled something to a drowsy Brenda about Maureen Beckwith, his "grandmother in law" to be. When he came out of the shower, he crawled into bed with her and hugged her like a stuffed toy. 

Maureen was as ambitious as Caitlin, and possessed Caitlin's complete lack of style, or class. "Grand Mama Mo" wanted to consider relocating to Riverdale Park, and finding a house with a cottage in the back for her, so she could be near her grandchild.

Brenda had no intention of making life easy on the leeches who were taking her Daniel away. The baby was different. He or she would be special, because Daniel was special.

Brenda made one more visit to the rental house, and helped carry a lamp inside. Daniel kissed her after closing the front door. He wanted to over ride the negative feelings he was having with every moment in the cramped "love nest."  

Brenda said that Caitlin would be trouble. She wasn't sure how, but she felt claustrophobic herself in the house. Daniel said he felt horrible because no one was happy with his efforts. Brenda kissed him again like a scene from a movie, and said that they could "make it work" no matter what. 

She would push herself harder into charity work, the shop, the house, and seances. The months, and years would fly by, and "who knows what can happen in the future."  

Daniel held her for a long time, and sighed. His wedding was a few days away, and Brenda knew that he didn't love Caitlin. On March first, he would be bringing the bride, and "mother to be" into the love nest at noon, but he swore he wouldn't carry her over the threshold. There would be no honeymoon due to his work schedule. Caitlin Mackenzie-Alexander "would be lucky if she got a vegetarian hot dog with relish, and a Coke."

C J. Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
Added on December 8, 2013
Last Updated on August 8, 2014
Tags: separation, deceptions, claustrophobia

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina