Moving Day

Moving Day

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Daniel brings home his bride.

"
Daniel was now officially married, but didn't want to talk about the ceremony. He had enjoyed the extra nights to be with Brenda before he had to bring "the bride" home to the little house across the railroad tracks the next day. Neither he, nor Brenda wanted to eat much. 
They sipped wine, ate crackers, and stared at the fire. Daniel said he was so sorry, and would do anything that he could to make it up to her. 
Brenda assured him that the spirits would guide her, and that any time he needed help at all, to simply ask her. She was good at working behind the scenes, and had plenty to do. 
She was, however, a bit concerned, judging by Caitlin's astrology chart, that Caitlin was a bit of a social climber, but with no manners, or class. Her chart compared to Daniel's reeked of resentment, and jealousy. Daniel had to be on the lookout for the effects of alcohol, and charlatans, although he wasn't a big drinker, or phony himself. He sipped, but never got nasty. And he knew when to stop. 
Caitlin changed moods so quickly that he said she seemed like Mr. Hyde sometimes, and rarely the good Doctor Jekyll. He wrote some of it off to her pregnancy. Brenda saw something else. She had seen it in Caitlin's eyes. She knew someone was inside that skull, but didn't like her one bit.
They discussed what they would do if Caitlin tried to hang out at the antique shop, or befriend, and ride Brenda's social coat tails. Daniel said that he would describe her to Caitlin as "an odd woman" and play down his time with her as "boring."
If Caitlin ever found out about their true emotional and physical attachments, she could file for divorce, and take the child. Brenda had a knack for acting, and Daniel's natural talent for bluffing made them a good team.
When it came time for Daniel to go home, Brenda cried. She admitted that she was feeling sorry for herself, and very worried about him. They hugged, and kissed. Daniel walked down the sidewalk and glanced back at her. He had a big knot in his stomach, and an invisible noose around his neck, but he didn't cry. At least not where she could see him.
March first dawned with a gloomy overcast. Daniel called Brenda and told her that he and Caitlin would probably be at the new house at 3.PM. to meet with the landlord, so be sure to keep a watch out for her weird maternity outfit. "It's hideous" he whispered.
Brenda vacuumed the house, and closed off Daniel's room after she rolled around in his bed sniffing up his scent like a hound dog. She was feeling very alone, and wanted to talk to someone. In a few days she would make an important call to Mr. Griffin. He would have just the right answers. He always did.
Brenda positioned herself in the upstairs bedroom on the Oliver street side of the house. Her big binoculars were set on the ledge with a gentle thump as she sipped hot chocolate with coffee in it. At exactly 3 P.M. Daniel's car pulled up to the rental house. The landlord was late, so Brenda got a good look at Caitlin's maternity outfit. It was a two piece affair in black and white abstract print. 
It looked like a tablecloth. She wore a small hat, flat brown shoes and white gloves with a swing coat thrown over her shoulders. A gray clutch bag completed her look. Daniel led her up the steps, and hastened himself inside before she could beg for a ride over the threshold. Had she insisted, he'd have said "Oh wait until we get our own home." That would keep her quiet for awhile.
After everything had been taken from the back seat, and trunk, they retreated into the love nest. The landlord arrived within two minutes, mounted the steps, and was invited in to sign the couple up for a yearly lease agreement.
Brenda fixed herself a lonely supper, and thought about the morning Mr. Blundon had to go out to the railroad tracks and see his son's dead body lying on the hard rocks with the top half of his head missing.  " My pain will never equal what you went through" she mumbled to herself. A second later, the phone rang, and no one was on the other end of the line, just a dial tone.
C J. Marks
 


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
Added on December 8, 2013
Last Updated on August 8, 2014
Tags: house, marriage, family

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina