Griffin To The Rescue

Griffin To The Rescue

A Chapter by Edwina
"

A gentleman advises a lady in a fair manner for all involved

"

Fairfield P. Griffin rang the doorbell at noon sharp, and removed his hat when Brenda opened the door. He was wearing a wool plaid sporting coat that Brenda had never seen before. He showed her the lining as she offered to hang it under the staircase. Mr. Griffin wasn't afraid to wear pink satin quilted lining with a red plaid "outer coat." He was one of the few men who could get away with "just about anything."

Brenda had him carry a tray full of snack food into the living room while she "manned" the beverages. A brisk fire promised to endure for at least an hour before needing more cedar wood. Brenda had two wooden table trays that she rescued from a "soon to be demolished" asylum. 

After the standard chit chat, and dessert, Brenda brought up her problems in a way that wouldn't assign condemnation or blame onto anyone in particular.  

Freemasons were honorable men, and always focused on making things better. Brenda had often felt that Mr. Blundon got along well with most of them, and were it not for the Catholic church, he'd have most likely become a Freemason. Griffin added that many of the Catholics had softened their criticism of the Freemasons "somewhat" and it was a "blessing" for all involved. 

After a long silence, Brenda began to describe her relationship with Daniel without going into excessive detail. She wanted Mr. Griffin to know that she was trying to not interfere in any way with the newlyweds, but that it might be impossible to avoid Daniel's new wife. She mentioned the tiny home he was renting, and F.P. Griffin laughed. He knew the house well. His housemaid had lived there for several years. He picked her up one day when the Trolley track was undergoing repairs. He described the home as "stifling" and narrow.

He asked her if she was asking his advice, or needed a shoulder to cry on. She joked that it was a little bit of each. She certainly resented Caitlin, but held Daniel responsible for his part in the matter.  

Griffin advised Brenda to keep things light, stay busy, and find discreet ways to visit with Daniel, because, after all, he did have his belongings stored at her house, and had every right to visit them. 

He added that Daniel had previously shown an interest in participating in a few of the historical reenactments, so that would be a "good outlet for him" while he waited for his baby to arrive, or any time after the event, as well. 

Griffin hoped that the child would be healthy, and that Caitlin would find her own social outlets. "Fairfield"  lived up to his first name and certainly  had a knack for seeing the big picture. From what Brenda had told him, he agreed that Caitlin would have a hard time fitting into her social circle, especially after Caitlin had suggested drastic "modern" changes to the Blundon decor.

Brenda again brought up her interest in the Blundons, and "Fairfield" offered to go with her to the Mount Olivet cemetery one day, since Daniel might have "a lot of explaining to do" to his wife on that one. 

He also mentioned Claude Warren, Mr. Blundon's son in law, and said that one of his associates had spoken to him about the future of real estate in the area. Brenda hoped to be able to meet him, but knew that she would never be able to ask about the train incident.

As Mr. Griffin drove away with a short wave, and smile, Brenda thought about Fannie Blundon. Strong women absolutely needed advice at times. Truly they did.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
Added on December 10, 2013
Last Updated on December 10, 2013
Tags: Tolerance, distractions, social standing

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina