The Mannequin Man

The Mannequin Man

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Window displays take center stage.

"
After Herbie Clayton fixed the flue in the attic  fireplace, and checked the basement boiler, he dropped Brenda off at the shop. Within an hour, "Sherman Stokes The Prop Man" showed up in his panel van with her mannequins. The two girls were beautiful, and Brenda adored them right away. 

Sherman asked about her proposed scenes in the front windows, and informed her that he had a couple of damaged mannequins she could have for ten dollars. One was an older woman with no legs, and the other was a baby from a Creche scene that had been in the White House.  Of course she wanted them ! Those were essential for her display. She called Sherman "a psychic life saver." He said he was going to throw them out if he didn't sell them between her place, and Wheaton.

Sherman reminded her that she should never hesitate to call him for "any and all" props, garlands, furniture, wigs, costume needs, hats, fake animals, or anything else she could think of. She handed him her revised standard list, and paid him for the new "mannies." He headed next door to the coffee house, and said that he would try to swing by in a week to see her windows. Halloween was one of his busiest times of the year next to Christmas.

Helene Shelby showed up to help with the display. Billy Shaw would be in after lunch to set up the big wooden bed for 5 dollars. The legless mannequin was to become the "sewing machine grandma," and her missing legs would not be a problem since her torso was going to be tied to the chair, and the shoes would stick out onto the treadle from beneath her skirt. Brenda was good at improvising. Granny got a grey wig, wire rimmed glasses, and a matronly outfit. Infant mannequin needed a bath, and a blanket.

During her late lunch break she telephoned Farleigh and suggested Sunday for a visit "if it was convenient," and if her friend, Fiona, could drive her up to see him. He sounded nervous, and mumbled for a few seconds, and said that noon would be best. She would call to confirm the time after she talked to Fiona. Of course, Fiona would be free to take her. 

Fiona's neighbor would stay with her husband, Frank, for a few hours. Brenda confirmed the time with Farleigh, and said that she would bring a notebook filled with pertinent dates, and information he might like to hear about.

Farleigh closed by saying "It will be nice to see you."

For the rest of the day she worried about being overly eager to bombard him, Aries style, with too much information. Did he dream ? what was his birthdate, did he ever travel ? Were there any relatives near him ? Might the Blundon deaths bring up too many painful emotions if she got too descriptive ? What forces were at work to bring them together ?

The last thing she wanted was to frighten him off.  His wife, Edwina had been dead a few years, she figured, and some of the agony people feel never decreases with time. It simply hides, and flares up at a later date. She suspected as much for Mr. Blundon when he died. When she closed up shop, she walked along the Northbound railroad track instead of the sidewalk. 

She wanted to find out exactly where he was struck, jumped onto the tracks, or was dragged to where his body was found. Asking for  a coroners report, or police records might be considered taboo, so she relied on intuition.The only thing that Mr. Blundon would know was his state of mind, body, and emotions that fateful summer night. Where his broken body landed was the least of his worries.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
Added on December 13, 2013
Last Updated on December 13, 2013

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina