Frederick's Crossing

Frederick's Crossing

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Parallel lives collide gently

"
Fiona picked up Brenda who was dressed in gray slacks, a black turtlenecked sweater, oxfords, argyle socks, her plaid survival coat and a black beret. A shoulder bag held her notebooks, and fresh baked crumb cake for Fiona's husband. The air was chilly, and the sky threatened rain. They took the back roads until they reached Powder Mill Road, and headed toward U.S one. When the light turned green, they drove past Brenda's old antique shop located in the odd shaped brick building. She had hated to sell it, but she couldn't manage two business locations. She had sold both cars, and wanted an easier life.

Fiona  turned right, and crossed the railroad tracks at the Odell Road turn off.  Farleigh's house was sitting on the corner of Maryland Avenue, and Odell Road. Tall hedges hid most of the two story farm house. It was exactly 12 noon, and when the two women parked by the hedges, the front door immediately opened. Brenda left the crumb cake on the front seat for Fiona. They got out of the car and walked the short path to the wooden porch.

Brenda noticed a dusty old car in the garage, and another newer car by a tree. The house was slightly in need of repair, but it had a timeless charm. Farleigh shook Fiona's hand, and she said he could call her Rowena, or Fiona, "it didn't matter." Brenda glanced at him, mentioned the threat of rain, and followed him into the living room. Fiona trailed behind slightly because she had felt a strange energy from the garage. Farleigh invited her to stay for some tea, but she said she could only stay for a few minutes.

Brenda was struck by the decor. Almost everything was from the 1930's. A grandfather clock stood by the front door, and had a moon and stars theme. Farleigh said that he could give a tour later, but he wanted to make a short statement about why he was a semi hermit. He mentioned the loss of his mother in 1946, the loss of his wife, Edwina, in 1947, and that he hadn't recovered from the shock. 

Fiona told him that she would be happy to help him with "anything at all" if he needed to talk. Brenda smiled, and mentioned that Fiona was a trance medium. Farleigh said that he had a few odd things happen in his life, and had an open mind about life after death. Brenda suddenly realized that he was a lot like Daniel in that respect. Fiona liked him right away, and winked at Brenda when Farleigh crossed the room to turn on an extra table lamp. 

Fiona gave Farleigh her calling card, and said she had to "get going." Farleigh and Brenda walked her to the front porch, and Brenda waved her goodbye as she drove off in her semi - dilapidated car. Farleigh looked at the calling card, and moved his lips silently as he read her name, and description.

Brenda said that Fiona never charges money for her work, but will accept gasoline expenses if the persons live a considerable distance. Farleigh said he would be happy to hear what she had to say, and would eagerly pay for her time.

When offered tea and cookies, Brenda clapped her hands lightly. Farleigh showed her to the kitchen, and put the water kettle on the old gas stove. She felt at ease with a man who knew his way around a kitchen. He reached for a flowered china teapot, cups, saucers, spoons, napkins, sugar, and placed all but the teapot on the dining room table. The Imported butter cookies were arranged on a fancy platter with a paper doily. He had been well instructed by someone who knew the importance of proper tea etiquette.

Brenda was delighted when he asked her if she liked Gunpowder tea. He explained that the leaves were hand rolled into tiny balls "over seas" and had a great full bodied flavor, and she pretended that she didn't already know that. Farleigh seemed devoid of bad habits in her eyes. He may have been missing his wife, and mother, but wherever they were, they had to be missing him, as well.

Farleigh waited until Brenda crunched into her first  pink frosted cookie before he allowed himself one. They didn't say much for a few minutes, and then Brenda said that she would not talk about anything that made him uncomfortable. She would have plenty of time in the future to tell him about the Blundons, the seances, house preservation and Spiritualism. 

Her mother had mentioned the Crossing at Odell Rd that had claimed several lives over the years, the most recent having been in 1947 that claimed an older lady. Farleigh sipped his tea, and said " That was my Edwina. We call it Frederick's Crossing. It claimed her first husband, too, but I'll have more on that later."

C J. Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
Added on December 13, 2013
Last Updated on June 24, 2014
Tags: similarities, friendship, tragedy, widower

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina