Enter Mr. Alexander

Enter Mr. Alexander

A Chapter by Edwina
"

A Fair to midland Halloween Party

"
Brenda dressed up like an Edwardian maid, and turned on all the lights for the Trick or Treaters. She had the dependable "Waters" mannequin seated on the back porch with his bowl of candy from last Halloween, but there were not as many invited guests. Mr. Griffin was in Georgetown, but Harriet, Helene, and Karen showed up for the evening. 
Brenda sensed that Mr. Blundon was dreaming in the Spirit world, and stood over in her favorite corner of the living room eating peanuts or something as he watched the goings on. 
She felt embarrassed that the party wasn't more exciting, but all of that would change when Daniel Alexander showed up in casual attire to fetch one of his text books. Brenda was in the kitchen filling a pitcher for the punch bowl when she heard his voice. 
She panicked at the thought that he had brought Caitlin and baby Henry to her party without warning, but when he entered the kitchen alone, and kissed her on the cheek, he asked her to help him find a particular book in his store room. As she led him upstairs her eyes quickly darted into the living room and saw only the usual guests.
Helene took over hostess duties dressed as Cleopatra while Brenda accompanied Daniel to his room. As soon as they were inside his room, he kissed her passionately. He said that Caitlin was giving out treats with her neighbor, Joy, until about 8 PM. Henry was doing fine. 
Daniel said that he got a small raise in pay, and was considering buying a house in a few years. Brenda reminded him that Caitlin would never want to wait that long.  
His threatening to move made Brenda nervous. It was bad enough he had been trapped in a loveless marriage, but she couldn't stand the thoughts that he might settle into his misery and make more babies with a mentally unstable woman.
She couldn't help thinking about Farleigh, and sensed a change in Daniel. After locating his book, she thought it best to hurry downstairs. Daniel wanted to talk. His gaze was a combination of Scorpionic  suspicion, and insecurity, and would be impossible to duplicate. He wasn't going to ruin her mood, nor her party. The awkwardness was a first for both of them. Daniel locked his bedroom door, and followed her like a man headed to a dungeon.
The guests wanted him to dress up, and stay for a game of charades, but he said he had to get back to his wife and baby. Brenda rolled her eyes mentally, and resented the secret they were forced to keep. In a fair world, they would be announcing their engagement that night to the cheers of well wishers and tipsy characters.
C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
Added on December 14, 2013
Last Updated on December 14, 2013
Tags: party, secrets, Halloween

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina