A New Helper

A New Helper

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Brenda loves pigs, and plans a new window

"

Farleigh wanted to take a different route back to Riverdale and drove Brenda through the Agricultural farm a few miles away. She had been through it many times, and being with Farleigh made it special. He said he had always loved animals, but there were rumors about mistreatment at the farm. There were experiments leaning toward oversized  pigs, cows, chickens, and turkeys. He said that he could give up meat altogether. 
Brenda loved the pigs and Farleigh stopped the car so that she could call to them. They were curious, and very fat. Brenda said that she may see about sponsoring a pig at the Animal Sanctuary in Bladensburg.
The shop looked fine, so they headed directly to the Blundon house. Farleigh parked on the Oglethorpe Street side near the big oak. Brenda increased the temperature, closed the double doors to the living room, and fired up the oven for a meal "sometime within an hour."
Farleigh built a fire, and helped grind her fresh roasted coffee beans from the Big Cup Coffee shop. They retreated into the living room with hot coffee, and sugar cookies.
Brenda told Farleigh as much as she knew about the Blundons. They glanced toward the railroad tracks, and liked the idea of placing Four Christmas wreaths by the path leading to the accident locations. 

The little train depot built by Mr. Blundon was in a near dilapidated state, so it, too, would get a pretty wreath. The preservation society recieved a firm "NO" on any restoration efforts from the town planners. They said it was a "lost cause" and that another would be built "in due time.
"

Farleigh said that he understood how Mr. Blundon must have felt when his son was killed. Dr. Sullivan said that Edwina had carried so much guilt that it overwhelmed her that day. New Years Eve. Frederick died on New Years Eve years before. In broad daylight. So, only Edwina knew why she felt she had to die. Dr. Sullivan had told Farleigh that there are times he has to "throw the textbooks right out the door" when it comes to some of his patients.

Brenda brought up Daniel's car accident, and Frederick Walker's collision. Both had been thrown into the glass windows. Mr. Blundon and Edwina had both mourned loved ones for a long time. Edwina rented a room to Farleigh, and she, Brenda, had rented a room to Daniel. Edwina saved everything, and Brenda was a big pack rat.

Dr. Sullivan had brought them all together in a strange way. Brenda agreed that Edwina had guilt feelings surrounding the car she'd bought Frederick after her mother died. Brenda and Farleigh both felt that people who kill themselves are not cowards. Brenda said that she would never have the "nerve" to step in front of a train. Farleigh remained silent, and put another log on the fire.

During their "pot pie" lunch Brenda asked Farleigh if he would like to help plan the Christmas windows. He was delighted to help. The basic plan might call for new mannequins. 

They retreated back into the living room with pecan pie, and more coffee. The window would be honoring "The Train Gang" but not titled the "Train Gang." No morbidity. Brenda wanted Edwina and Frederick included. The "gang" is simply celebrating Christmas 1951.

Farleigh liked the idea. He could supply their actual clothing. Shoes, everything. Brenda debated whether to call her mannequin man, Sherman Stokes, or go to his supply house in person. A phone call would decide. Sherman would load his van at any hour, and drive "forever" to sell something.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
Added on December 16, 2013
Last Updated on December 16, 2013
Tags: pigs, Christmas, sorrows

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina