A Special Family

A Special Family

A Chapter by Edwina
"

The gang is all here...maybe

"

Sherman arrived soon after Farleigh drove up with a car load of Antique clothing from Edwina's old trunks. The two men introduced themselves, and entered the shop. Brenda had the big oval table set up in the window with a couple of chairs for the mannequins that would be sitting down. A medium sized Victorian tree sat by the left side of the table as seen from the street.

Sherman had a "deal" for Brenda. She could have everything in his van for 2 hundred dollars. Wigs, clothing, and  10 mannequins with all the extra parts.  She trotted out to have a look. After 1 minute of staring, she ran back into the shop, and removed 250 dollars from her old safe. The extra fifty was a bonus for Sherman. The three humans unloaded the van, and had coffee while Brenda explained the "Train Gang" to Sherman in great detail. He thought it was a clever idea, and made her promise to mail him a photograph when it was finished.

When Farleigh and Brenda were finally alone, the front curtains were closed, and the "out to lunch" sign was turned around to face the street. The window on the right was open for viewing to the public, and it featured the usual toys, and lights.  After two hours, all of the mannequins were wigged, and most were dressed, except for an extra male mannequin, and the Edwina and Frederick couple. When Brenda asked Farleigh to hold the Frederick mannequin steady, he said that he had something to tell her.

Frederick Walker was Farleigh's biological father. His mother Laura and he had a little fling before he married Edwina. Frederick was never told about the pregnancy. Farleigh found out after his mother died when he was given a letter from her lawyer. His mother called Frederick a "special man." Farleigh decided not to tell Edwina.
 
It all made sense. He looked like Frederick, his mother had been very puzzled by his marriage to a much older Edwina.The Halloween experience took on more meaning. He had felt Frederick's presence all around him that night as he walked toward the house to make Edwina happy.

Brenda was astounded. The news called for another cup of coffee, and a special position at the table with Edwina. Frederick would be sitting on Edwina's lap in a joking manner. After all, two people who hid a Ouija board from the wife's mother were up for almost anything.

Farleigh dressed Frederick, and Brenda dressed Edwina in a long dress with a cardigan sweater. Her hair was in a Marcel style, shoes not showing. Frederick was in a dark jacket with an open collar shirt. No trousers, as he was seated with legs hidden under the table. 
Farleigh laughed when she said she should leave the tablecloth up, and shock some old ladies.

The mannequins were ready an hour later, but there was a spare male. Brenda decided to include Webster Wagner as a member of the train gang. The inventor of the sleeping car had died tragically in a train wreck. Brenda searched for a round chin beard. She settled for a piece of sheep's wool that came from a wild ram. Webster would have a bunny rabbit puff on his chin. 

The mannequins were seated, and standing. First came Mr. Blundon with son Waters sitting on his lap. Waters was in 1895 clothing, and Mr. Blundon wore 1909 togs. Guy Brown wore 1895 clothing, as did Charles Lynch, the two other boys killed with Waters.

 Caitlin's parents, Becky, and step dad David Alexander, were standing in 1920's clothing, as were Dorothy Alice, and Henry Alexander, Daniel's parents. Dolly Esther Fitzgerald, an August 19, 1925 Odell Crossing fatality from the same house that Frederick and Edwina later owned was dressed in a 1925 summer dress with a partly upturned brim hat. Edwina was seated with Frederick sitting on her lap, and Webster stood over by the Christmas tree with his hilarious bunny puff chin.

Farleigh suggested an empty chair at the table "just in case" they left anyone out. Brenda jokingly said that she could hear departed train accident victim voices saying "what about me?  Where's my outfit, and cotton tail beard puff ?"

 The final touches included a small train going around on the oval table. The scene was perfect. There was no hint of sorrow, or tragedy. The window would be on display the following morning. Farleigh decided to spend the night with Brenda, and arrange to hire extra help for the big house.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Author's Note

Edwina
This was fun to write.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
Added on December 25, 2013
Last Updated on December 25, 2013
Tags: trains, Christmas, mannequins, death, joy, displays

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina