Whirlwind

Whirlwind

A Chapter by Edwina
"

A good time was had by most

"

It was a good thing that Farleigh liked, or rather, loved, coffee. Brenda kept him well plied with pot after pot during the grand curtain opening for the Christmas window. Most of the patrons stared at the happy family of train "victims," but didn't ask many questions. They were generally after the ultimate shiny gift for a loved one, and thanks to them, Brenda made close to four hundred dollars in the first two hours. Farleigh never complained or balked at anything she asked him to do. He wrote up receipts, bagged items, and carried boxes to the trolley, or cars.

Caitlin's neighbor friend, Joy, bought a wreath and eyeballed Farleigh so thoroughly that it was a miracle that he didn't erupt in flames. Oh, she couldn't wait to tell Caitlin about the display, AND Mr. Hooper-Walker. "Brenda Grayson has a young boyfriend" would soon be burning up party lines all over town. Joy overheard Brenda naming each of the mannequins, and the stories behind their lives. 

One woman who had taken the trolley from Beltsville said that she recalled hearing about Dolly Esther's accident, and knew that Dolly had a niece somewhere who would love the way she was depicted. Joy left soon after Brenda shared information about Caitlin's parents David and Becky.

If Caitlin caused any trouble, Brenda would point out that the information about them wa the public domain. Brenda wasn't about to hold back her artistic and spiritual energies for "dear little Caitlin's" sake. Several people took photographs of the display, and said that it was nice to remember Mr. Blundon especially. During a quick break, Farleigh and Brenda placed a wreath on each of the old deteriorating train depot doors. Brenda sent a telepathic message to Mr. Blundon and said she was sorry that it was not going to be preserved. She felt that he wasn't terribly upset about it, and that he appreciated her caring when most people did not.

The shop was closed for the public house tour on the 23rd. Farleigh dressed in old Edwardian attire, and Brenda wandered around in a Velvet Walking suit. People loved the house, and the food. There were so many photographs being taken that she had to open the curtains to let in more light. At one point she tossed so many walnut shells into the fireplace that Trent began cracking more nuts during the lulls at the punch bowl. The shells created a color burst, and it added a new perk to the tour.

The music box, and the chiming clocks added authentic sounds to go with the sights. When Brenda walked to the back door to lock up, Daniel was coming up the steps carrying Henry and a Christmas wrapped package. Brenda joked "No children allowed except Henry Alexander." Daniel gave her a kiss on the cheek, and handed her the package. She placed it under her tree, and walked Daniel into the dining room. 

Henry's eyes were almost as big as saucers while took in the sights and sounds. Farleigh stood up from the table, and shook Daniel's hand after being introduced by Brenda. A little chit chat followed without any obvious "sizing up the competition" activity from the two rivals. Daniel said he had to get back home in a hurry, but that he liked the window display. Joy had relayed the information to Caitlin, but Caitlin had not gone to look "yet."

The two men parted with a desire to get together sometime, and have a longer conversation. They had things in common. Brenda watched Daniel as he hugged and kissed Henry, then crossed the notorious train tracks not far from his tiny house. Within an hour, Farleigh and Brenda were gearing up for the party at Mr. Griffin's in Hyattsville.

C J. Marks


© 2013 Edwina


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
Added on December 28, 2013
Last Updated on December 28, 2013
Tags: christmas, fun, babies, rivals, death, gifts

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina