That Little Piggy

That Little Piggy

A Chapter by Edwina
"

New Year's Eve approaches. People get strange.

"


 Brenda thanked Farleigh for the Fuld Ouija board that had belonged to Frederick, and Edwina. She closed her eyes, and said that the board wanted to be in the Beltsville house, "most of the time" but "would travel" if asked to do so. Farleigh said that it would be fine with him. When Brenda handed Farleigh his Christmas present package she worried that he might not see the beauty in it. She leaned the object against the wall next to her fireplace and felt that the Blundons were watching in a "curious parent like" fashion.
Farleigh tore the paper away to reveal a large rectangular drawing of his Beltsville house with Edwina standing on the tracks looking toward a ghostly, but smiling, Frederick who was leaning against the signal pole. The house was on the right, and the two "departed" loved ones were about to be reunited by a Northbound train. Brenda decided to leave the train engine out of the image. The only thing that mattered was the moment. Not the pain, and not the violence, but a moment of bliss. Farleigh didn't say much as he stared at the artwork, and read the artist's signature. Helene Shelby. Then he spoke. "My father and wife. Edwina's my step mother, too."
Farleigh hugged Brenda, and said that he would move the drawing "all around his house during the day and night." He ran his fingers over the glass, and kissed it once. The two sat on the couch and stared at the image. Farleigh said that Helene could probably "do a whole series." She had captured Edwina's back very nicely. Her wavy hair, boxy coat and simple hat enhanced the simplicity of the event about to come. Frederick's expression, and posture were reassuring. The mangled car had been left out of the scene,as well.
Farleigh left in the morning with his picture, and said that he would be available "a few days after" the New Year, and for Brenda to get the "pig situation" arranged, and he would be happy to help her in any way "with that". His phone would be unplugged, and there would be no reason to worry about him. He gave her neighbor Greta's number in case she did fret too much. "Greta knows my habits. Some of them" he added.
Brenda waved good bye as he pulled onto Oglethorpe street, and then turned right onto Lafayette Avenue. Brenda worked with the Ouija board awhile, and asked if the pigs would be approved by the sanctuary. There was a "Yes" followed by a quick "More" and then, nothing. Brenda never pushed for answers. She was eager to contact the Blundons. If they didn't like the Ouija board, she would stick to seances, but there were plenty of other ways to use the board. 
Brenda thought about Daniel, and wanted to see him. She sent him a telepathic message to contact her. Phoning him at work was awkward, and to be utilized for "important things only." Concentrating on the pig situation was essential. She got out her encyclopedia and studied the various breeds. There was nothing good on television, and it was too early to start packing decorations away. "Piggies" Brenda mumbled on her way to make a light lunch. 
C J. Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
Added on January 5, 2014
Last Updated on January 5, 2014

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina