A Kiss In The Dark

A Kiss In The Dark

A Chapter by Edwina
"

A nightly tryst with safety in mind

"

The dream about Mr. Blundon holding the wreath was most likely to let her know that she was in danger from the illness that had claimed his daughter. Brenda managed to make herself coffee, and dry toast before she had to wander back upstairs.
Her mail to the shop was delivered through a slot in the door, and her house mail would arrive sometime after noon.
Daniel called and asked if he could stop by to see her at 7 PM, but to only stand on the Oglethorpe side of the house at the living room window while she spoke to him from the inside. She didn't want him to get sick, and pass it on to Henry, or Caitlin, who could spread it to at least 3 other people.
Brenda couldn't wait to get back to the shop, and dig out more clothing. Her idea for the Valentine's Day window was one of the best, ever, and she wanted to see how Farleigh, and Daniel reacted to the situation. Mr. Griffin, and several other friends had each sent a "get Well" card to her house. Fetching the mail from the metal box was a special thrill because it was the first breath of fresh air in some time. Brenda wanted to feel the icy sting on her cheeks, but her lungs had other plans. They ached from the cold.
Farleigh phoned to ask if he could see her over the week-end, and she said that she would love to be with him if she felt well enough. He admitted to being bored, and lonely, then confessed that he had sat on Edwina's grave while he talked to her and Frederick. He would await signs from them, because he knew that there were no hard fast rules about the spirit world. Brenda suggested that he phone Fiona, and see her, but he wanted Brenda to be with him during an official consultation.
Daniel showed up on Brenda's porch, and tapped on the door knocker since he figured that she'd be bundled up on the couch, eagerly awaiting his arrival. He was right. She wandered to far left window, and smiled at him. He could hear her clearly, and no one could see them interacting, even with a porch light on. Brenda left the light off. Daniel showed her a box of chocolates, and said she could fetch them from the door mat after he left. They chatted about Henry, and Caitlin. There had been several major arguments about getting a bigger house.
Brenda mentioned the iron fence to come, and the new homes going up a few miles away that she might be buying "for the hell of it." The images in magazines intrigued her, and she felt that the Blundons would enjoy the "outer space" moods found in the designs, and furnishings. Changes were on the horizon with all of the Robot films, and flying saucers.
Daniel said he had to get back home before Caitlin sent out the cavalry. She was talking about their future children recently, and Daniel said he went in to take a long shower. He cringed at the thoughts of being with her at all, let alone making more babies.
Brenda pressed her lips up against the glass, and Daniel kissed her for a little while. She told him that she loved him, he replied the same, and took off for home on foot. When he was at a safe distance, Brenda retrieved the huge box of Whitman's sampler candy. On her way up the stairs, she ate a red Jordan almond.
C J Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
Added on January 27, 2014
Last Updated on January 27, 2014

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina