The Lovers

The Lovers

A Chapter by Edwina
"

A Special Valentine's Day window display is shown to the public.

"
Brenda's ideas for the Valentine Couple underwent a few "last minute" changes. Lorraine, the seamstress, spent most of her time working with Helene Shelby in the alleyway to burn sections off the costumes.The train interior backdrop, and passenger seats, were set at an angle, the mannequins had soot rubbed onto part of their faces, leaned into each other, and the fake fire was up and running. Farleigh arrived from Beltsville and helped with the project while Brenda walked around the Blundon's yard with a man from the Iron fence company. 

Farleigh handed her a pile of printed sheets from the Stationery store when she finally arrived at the shop. Anyone asking about the "Spuyten Duyvil" train accident would be presented with a "fact sheet"  made from singed parchment paper, and a candy chocolate train car covered in red foil.The story included the fateful date of January 13, a Friday, in 1882. Webster Wagner, politician, and inventor, was on board the train that featured his sleeping cars. He perished in the fire that resulted when the stalled train was hit from behind by another train.

A young newlywed couple, Mr. and Mrs. Park Valentine were stuck in a burning car. Conductor Hanford saw that the husband was completely trapped, and doomed, but the bride could have escaped the wreckage and flames, had she been willing to remove her her dress. Brenda theorized that the bustle was caught between the wall, and the seat, so she depicted this "fact" in her display.

The bride wore a pink ruffled dress with a large bustle. Both victims' costumes were un burned where the lovers' bodies touched, and there were no soot marks on the insides of their faces.  Maria Louise Gaylord Valentine, age 19, refused to leave her husband Park, aged 22, and they both burned to death.

The public couldn't see past the curtains. Brenda treated all of her helpers to lunch at the Big Cup, and planned on opening the curtains an hour before closing. The flames looked "not realistic" at all, but they wouldn't burn down her shop, either. Farleigh helped to finish up loose ends, and play love songs on the phonograph. Brenda paid everyone, and thanked them for being so patient with her last minute changes.

When they left the shop, she told them to look at the window. Farleigh threw open the curtains. They applauded. The coffee shop closed up, and several of the employees said that they loved the window. When Brenda and Farleigh were alone, an older couple came to the window dressed in costumes from the late 1800's. Brenda assumed that they had just let out from a stage play, and went to the store room with Farleigh to turn off lights, and lock up.

When they came back out, the couple was gone. A glance outside revealed no clue as to their whereabouts. There were no cars, no trains, and no trolleys about at that time. Brenda phoned Harriet Wilson and told her about the actors who had peered into her window at the shop. Harriet said that there was no play. The theater was closed for renovations.

C J Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
Added on February 15, 2014
Last Updated on February 15, 2014
Tags: death, fire, accidents, love, loyalty, ghosts

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina