A Low Profile

A Low Profile

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Spring Sprang, but fell back to sleep.

"
 Brenda wasn't surprised by Farleigh's experiences. Hearing voices was a normal part of life for many people. She had experienced many situations in her younger years. Her pre dreaming state often produced voices, music, and images just before she fell asleep. She would hear someone speak, awaken fully, giggle, and say "I heard that" to her voices. On occasion she would think that the radio was turned on, but it wasn't. The music wasn't on, either. Her mother had told her to accept unusual happenings as long as they were not harmful, or frightening.

Some things were explained away. A whirring fan could sound like voices, or music, but the sounds could be coming from any manner of places. Humans were generally not encouraged to develop anything past the mundane world of communication on an average basis. Brenda had been mocked in school for mentioning extrasensory perception, or ghosts. The general consensus dictated that "Jesus Christ" could hallucinate, levitate, fly, jump out of the grave, make magic happen, and no one named Joe Blow was capable of such things.

Mr. Griffin had requested Daniel's telephone number from her a week earlier, and the "historical reenactment" would be happening after Easter. She had no intention of watching Caitlin 
bouncing her big chest around an open field with Henry in her arms while Daniel played the role of "musket man" defending their town from the British.
Daniel hadn't been in touch. Brenda hated playing "middle woman" in a dysfunctional social circle. Mr. Griffin, however, was an expert in the field of repairing "most things public, and private." No doubt, his Colonial costumes would outshine anyone else's. If Caitlin ever had plans to get "in" with Miss Grayson, the socialite, those plans were assuredly mummified, and entombed forever.
Before Brenda met Farleigh, Daniel's absence, (and perceived neglect) would have sent her into a depression. Mr. Blundon helped most of all when she was in a tizzy. Her parents were mainly spectators. They helped if she asked them to step in, but both of them knew how well she could handle adversity. "And the dead have lives" she would often repeat out loud to anyone present.
Her mother had told her that the medical professionals would try to treat her as "broken" and go "by the book" but she trusted Dr. Sullivan, "the Freemason who loved old lamps," and had taken care of Edwina, and Farleigh to a point. His willingness to remain open minded allowed Brenda to consult him on occasions. Miss Grayson commanded respect because of the way she said things. If something seemed preposterous, she would explain why it was very possible.
"We are on a grain of sand" she would begin. "And the definitive book of reality has yet to be written." If the doubters suggested the bible as the "ultimate authority" on "all things real" she would bring up "Baalam's  talking a*s."
Her Easter Window didn't raise a positive stir. It was hastily thrown together, altered a few times, and most people didn't understand why Brenda used animals in human roles. Easter was supposed to be a day for rising from the dead, and drifting skyward to a heavenly home. Jesus Christ had theoretically "pummeled death to the ground." Her fake animals who were seated at the table had simply adopted a human, and celebrated life with a vegetarian meal. If it seemed weird, Brenda didn't care. 
The fake bathroom for the young human child featured a real toilet with a special kiddie seat shaped like a saddle. The "codpiece" in front deflected urine into the bowl. The stirrups gave junior the feeling of taking a real horse ride. The horse head had a squeaker knob for "the best of fake whinnies." She found it all very "Eastery." Only her bohemian friends adored it. The "snoots" in town were highly confused, or downright offended.
CJ Marks 


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
Added on April 2, 2014
Last Updated on April 2, 2014
Tags: interim, seasons, nonsense, rebellion

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina