The Passenger's Side

The Passenger's Side

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Farleigh needs to connect with his deceased wife in any way that he can.

"

Brenda watched the buildings whiz by as she rode down US 1 with Farleigh in the driver's seat. Her mother's old shop looked neglected, somewhat, and Brenda hoped that it would survive any plans to ever widen U.S. 1. Fearing that she didn't have enough in her pantry to feed Farleigh and herself for a few days, should he decide to spend the night, she asked him to stop at the grocery store. He informed her that he could help her with chores, but would not be able to stay over.

Farleigh was still very much in love with Edwina. His visits to the cemetery were getting more frequent, and he always told her about every little thing in his life. He was quite certain that she had heard him talk about the mannequin made in her likeness. Since she had, herself, kept all of Frederick's clothing, and often wore his outfits around the house "just to feel close" he knew that she would not make fun of him, or so he hoped. 

He was growing increasingly insecure, and agitated about his relationship with Brenda. It wasn't Brenda, herself, that made him nervous, it was the fear of competing with Daniel, somewhat, and the fact that he could never leave his house in Beltsville. He wanted to die there when the time was right, even if it took 50 years.

Brenda put the groceries away, and Farleigh swept the entire wrap around porch. Brenda had never used the Summer kitchen out back. She didn't want to disturb the tiny two story building in any way until she knew how authentic everything had to be. Mr. Blundon's black cooks, the Bailey sisters, had lived there until they had to move away with what was left of the family after he died. 

Farleigh loved Brenda's cooking, and helped with dishes. In many ways, Farleigh was more compatible with her than Daniel. The "detective with the charming smile" wasn't terribly domesticated, but Farleigh could spend all day at home in the right company. Perhaps the mannequin, Edwina, could help him feel less alone, at least for awhile.

Brenda located "Edwina's" sitting legs, and helped Farleigh attach them so that she could sit on the passenger's side on the ride back to Beltsville. He placed her gently in the car, and returned for her clothing, and extra wigs. Brenda wondered what was running through his mind that he had to dash off so soon, but Daniel had already conditioned her to expect almost anything when it came to male behavior.

Farleigh kissed Brenda, and drove away with a happy wave, and big smile. The image was quite surrealistic, but she felt that Mr. Blundon had just witnessed the entire event. That fact made her day a perfect one.

CJ Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
Added on April 19, 2014
Last Updated on April 19, 2014
Tags: mannequin, death, spirits, strangeness, hope

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina