Uncertainty

Uncertainty

A Chapter by Edwina
"

The nature of love survives despite changes in the mind.

"

Despite all her wealth, and projected confidence, Brenda was growing more insecure by the day. Daniel had telephoned with news about the upcoming reenactment for Mr. Griffin's historical association. Caitlin, it seemed, was behaving like a movie star since her "second hand invitation" had come in through Daniel.
Her costume was "wench like" but modest enough for the more conservative patrons who would be watching the goings on. Brenda could only roll her eyes at the thoughts running through Caitlin's addled brains.
Daniel shared that Caitlin was "being a lot nicer to Henry" what with with a "genuine" social event looming ahead. Brenda held her sarcasm in check for the time being. Henry had been diagnosed with mild vision problems that he would need glasses to correct, but eventually "grow out of."  Caitlin was eager to have her hair styled for the event, and had paid a dressmaker to make the costumes for herself, and Henry. Daniel's outfit was to be supplied from Mr. Griffin's costume room.
Brenda saw that Caitlin was trying to be like her. Most likely, to Caitlin's way of thinking, she'd soon be on the cover of Time magazine holding little Henry with an Old American Flag in the background. Daniel wanted Brenda to come see the reenactment, or better still, be IN the show. After she told him that they didn't have any roles for " eccentric old ladies" he said "You are impossible" and told her he would see her when he found more time. He bid her good bye with a noisy audio kiss. 
Her meek "Bye" wasn't based on feeling sorry for herself. At that moment, she didn't even like Daniel. Farleigh had taken a major place in her heart despite his fetish for a mannequin who looked like his dead wife. Brenda sensed changes in herself. She was becoming tired, and somewhat jaded about life in general. Such moods were a project for her father in the spirit world. A glance toward his ashes on the mantle evoked a smile from her lips, and a slight pool of tears that didn't quite fall out.
There were Blundons and Waters family members practically living in her back yard, and she still hadn't gone to the Mount Olivet cemetery to look for the pertinent headstones. Her questions about the house, and bedrooms would be answered some day. Perhaps if she didn't have two men in her life "stealing her oxygen" she could spend more time sleuthing, and hunting down old timers who had definite answers. 
Several of her dreams had been strange. She had a short one about two small houses being built fronting Lafayette Avenue. The house next to her home on Oglethorpe had been empty since the day she moved in. She suspected that it had been built by Mr. Blundon and perhaps sold after his son, Joseph Waters died. During the winter, his own family home sat empty, and perhaps whoever lived in it kept an eye on things.
If the house, and lot were for sale, Brenda wanted both. And she wanted a caboose. The Summer Kitchen was basically a store room, and hard to fathom, but with more emphasis on her own goals, she would not be "put upon" by two men who came and went in her life. Mr. Griffin could introduce her to a Freemason with abundant means. Her social life might flourish once again. If only the Blundons were still around, she surmised, "Little Riverdale Park" would never turn into a monstrosity.
CJ Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
Added on April 30, 2014
Last Updated on April 30, 2014
Tags: love, eccentricities, insecurity

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina