Afternoon Rain Dreams

Afternoon Rain Dreams

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Staying home can have benefits when spirits come by for a visit.

"


Brenda telephoned Pauline Kirby of the Historical Society and asked if it would be permissible to add modern air conditioners to several "key" rooms in the house that got "too hot and sticky." Pauline suggested dehumidifiers instead, with small window fans that could draw out the air on dry nights. Brenda apologized for not having a Spring House Tour, but promised a "spectacular" one in the Fall. Pauline said that she could stop by the following morning at 10 o'clock to discuss a number of things, including a personal surprise that would be shared with the other members in a few hours. Brenda missed a lot of the meetings due to her shop schedule, so she was more than willing to wait for the news.
Farleigh telephoned an hour later to say that he was going to see Dr. Sullivan for a "check up" and to "not tell anyone." He had spent a lot of time near his mother's grave, and felt that she wanted him to see the doctor. He was afraid that he might be committed to an Institution, and would never take any medicines. Brenda asked him to stop by to see her if he was in the area. 
Trying to soothe him with words didn't always work, so she didn't say much about his difficulties.It was unnerving to her how she could feel so close to the men in her life, and yet so far away. There were times she talked at them rather than to them.
The sky began to darken, and thunder rumbled in the distance. The attic windows were shut with great speed, and it was time to go lie down on the couch for a rest in the living room. She pointed her feet in the direction of the railroad tracks, and propped her head against antique pillows. Lightning flashed, and for an instant she thought she saw the outline of a little white house fronting Lafayette Avenue. When the rain began to pour, she covered herself with a light blanket and drifted off to sleep. 
Her dreams were fast and chaotic. Mr. Blundon and Fannie appeared for a few seconds, and walked toward the front door, then vanished. Henry was at the beach with Daniel walking along the boardwalk. A couple of antique toys appeared in rapid succession. She awoke suddenly when thunder sounded. Her eyes settled on the mantle piece that held her father's ash container. Afternoon naps always left her feeling "woozy" for awhile after regaining consciousness. The remainder of the day was usually shot, save for a few dishes that needed washing after she had rifled through leftovers in the refrigerator.
Whenever the next thunderstorm might arrive, she planned to sleep in the 3 boys' cubicles, and hear the rain beat the attic roof "to death." She would be like Goldilocks, only much older. Business was slow at the shop, and her priorities were changing a bit. She wanted a better social life. Perhaps the idea of buying two modern houses could be put aside for a nice second home in Georgetown. There was only so much that she could do for Farleigh, or Daniel. On second thought, it was good to help people she loved. Being wealthy was not a "cure all" but it often "cured much" at least for awhile.
CJ Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
Added on July 12, 2014
Last Updated on July 12, 2014
Tags: rain, visitors, psychic, dreams, solitude, sanity

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina