The Autumn Leaves

The Autumn Leaves

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Ghosts abound, but the living find no rest.

"


 
Brenda telephoned Fiona during her morning coffee, and relayed a partial accounting of the "attic adventure" but left out Daniel's activities. Fiona said that since the dead continue to evolve, they can engage in certain actions with the living, including having a sexual encounter. Brenda laughed and made a joke about being locked up in an asylum if word ever got out. The two women trusted each other, and nothing was taboo when it came to discussing all aspects of life and death.

Fiona said that she had seen Farleigh grocery shopping in Beltsville, but that he "looked very sad" and didn't say much. Brenda rarely ever called Farleigh when he was in one of his "moods." She simply waited him out, and "he's always come around." She was used to not hearing from him for weeks at a time, and had tried to convince him that it was "fine" to see her anytime if she wasn't away for the day.

They had half planned a trip to go visit the cows, and pigs at the sanctuary, but the "wheels" to do so had not been set in motion. Fiona was happy that "Guy Brown" had been able to enjoy a bit of pleasure with such a fine woman as Brenda. She had always shown great sympathy for what happened to the boys, and to Mr. Blundon as well when so many people in the past had been critical of the"youngsters" for "playing on the tracks" and Mr. Blundon's probable suicide. His death had been ruled accidental so that Fannie could collect a ten thousand dollar life insurance policy. Brenda surmised that Joseph's "fortunes" had suffered since the crash of 1907.

There were times that Brenda obsessed over Farleigh, but never dared to show that side of herself to him, because he seemed hypersensitive about being "too close" to someone, and "not close enough" at other times. He was strong, physically, but emotionally unpredictable. When their lovemaking was good, she didn't even think about Daniel, but when Farleigh wasn't 'fired up" she surmised that he was missing Edwina terribly. Fiona suggested that another seance might be in order sometime around Halloween. 

Fiona was a combination Wiccan And Christian. Brenda apologized for not being as "spiritual" as she could be, but Fiona reminded her that "everything has dry spells except faith." Doubts came and went, and no one was keeping score. God or Spirit was a benevolent energy. Brenda always felt better after her talks with Fiona Rowena Kent.

Daniel would be dealing with Caitlin in a few hours when she came back home, and attending to his paperwork. Another reenactment was planned so that Caitlin could "get a better picture" taken thanks to Mr. Griffin. It would be the last costumed event for the Summer, and with any luck at all, Caitlin could "drift" on her "moment in the sun" as the leaves changed hue and throughout the long hard Winter as well. Henry was getting cuter by the day, and "mommy" had to "eclipse the little tyke" in order  to make up for the horrible relationship she had with his father. "Getting even" was a "big deal" for her dark side.

CJ Marks


© 2014 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
Added on October 6, 2014
Last Updated on October 6, 2014
Tags: ghosts, seasons, autumn, changes, tensions

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina