Bailey To The Rescue

Bailey To The Rescue

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Brenda shares leftover cake with passers by on Christmas day at her shop. A surprise meeting offers an opportunity to push legal boundaries with her neighbors.

"
Farleigh awakened before Brenda, brushed his teeth, urinated, then headed to the kitchen for his first official duty as coffee maker. He had watched her operate one of several glass vacuum coffee pots, and knew how to brew the "best coffee on Earth." He opened the radiator knob, and listened to the eerie clanking sounds coming into the pipes. Brenda appeared, still in her nightgown and robe and informed him that she would do the worst of the dishes after a light breakfast. Farleigh pulled back the curtain by the sink, glanced toward Jeffrey's house and muttered the word "freak" to himself as he toasted two slices of wheat bread.

Brenda gathered up her own toast and fruit for a light meal, headed back upstairs to dress, and wait for the coffee to be finished. When she returned and set the table, Farleigh gave her a kiss, and thanked her for "putting up with him." Farleigh finished eating first and then bounded upstairs to dress in his every day outfit. Brenda tackled a mound of dirty silverware, and listened to Mozart on her phonograph.

When Farleigh came back downstairs with a fresh shave, she announced that she would open the shop for "Social Celebrations only, with no sales allowed." The only things they would have to take were the ground coffee beans, creamer, sugar leftover cake, and parts of their costumes. The other items were at the shop. Farleigh loaded the car, and turned on the heater so that Brenda would be more comfortable.

When they got to the shop, some of the lights had to be plugged in, and the heat was turned up first thing. Brenda found her largest coffee brewer, and filled it with water. There were 22 red ceramic mugs lined up on the counter with  22 small red cake plates. Plastic forks would have to suffice, along with dime store reindeer napkins. Brenda knew that there was the possibility that no one would stop by for a visit. If so, she would leave the cake in the alley for any stray animals that happened by. Lugging it back home was not an option.

Farleigh put on a Prince Albert "get up", and Brenda dressed in a red Edwardian walking outfit. After waiting half an hour, they both wondered if anyone at all would drop in, so Brenda went outside, and waved at the train engineer when a freight train went by. Her gaze wandered down toward Daniel's house, and she began daydreaming. Farleigh regained her attention just in time to wave at the caboose man. There were several cars waiting at the crossing, and she waved as they resumed their journeys. Everyone was in a good mood.

A black man was pushing a brand new bicycle with a big red bow on it, and Farleigh wished him a Merry Christmas while Brenda invited him into the shop to have cake and coffee. He declined coffee, but said he would like to take his wife a piece of cake. He added that the bike was for his nephew, who would be visiting him later at their home in Hyattsville. He introduced himself as Bailey Albert. 

They chatted about the passing caboose, and how many of the older train cars were vanishing.  When he mentioned that he and his wife had lived in a caboose for a month on their property while he finished their house, Brenda quizzed him further. Where had he obtained such a caboose, was it old? was it for sale, and when could she have a look at it. 

Bailey explained that he had traded an old draft stud horse for the caboose many years ago when he couldn't continue farm work due to a leg injury. His son continued to work the farm, and he and his wife moved to Hyattsville. As far as he knew, the caboose was very old, and not like those on the rails "today" but that aside from a few items of furniture inside, it was in good shape, and would be for sale. He gave Brenda his phone number, and said that his wife Roberta was home most of the time to answer the phone. When Brenda mentioned the Blundon house, he said he knew women who worked there, and that it's a "fine old place." He asked how it had fared during the past floods and she said that the house "got lucky" because there was a slope to her yard on one side.

A few more people came for cake and coffee. Brenda glanced up at one point to see Daniel's car driving by with Caitlin next to him holding Henry. Daniel looked tired, and Caitlin looked like her usual disgruntled self. In a few moments they would be back in the claustrophobic house from hell, and there would be arguments, no doubt, that Henry could sleep through if he was lucky.

Farleigh helped Brenda close up the shop, changed into his daily outfit, and drove her back home still wearing her Red Walking Suit. When she passed what she thought to be the spot where Mr. Blundon's body was found, she felt the urge to wave at him.  Once back at the house, Farleigh gathered up his travel case, and kissed her goodbye just inside the back door. They never showed affections in public for obvious reasons. People would never understand. And yet Farleigh had exhibited himself for Jeffrey to see without hesitation, if indeed, "Larkin" had been looking at all. Brenda watched from the back veranda as Farleigh locked the driveway gates behind him and drove off after a quick wave.

CJ Marks 

September 2015


© 2015 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

316 Views
Added on September 4, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: trains, coffee, costumes

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina