The Solomon Brothers

The Solomon Brothers

A Chapter by Edwina
"

Brenda finds a new lead for handymen.

"
The Solomon Brothers   

After Brenda dismissed her window washer for  foul language, and  excessive use of the word "n****r" she asked a few town square merchants if anyone  knew about a reliable replacement. Most of the proprietors had family members who maintained the premises, stocked shelves, and delivered orders.
When she stopped at Dumm's corner to buy groceries before heading home, she often checked the bulletin board for antiques. 

A light green business card caught her eye because it featured a mule with the sun shining above its head. John and Lemuel Solomon were "Jackasses Of Many Trades." They listed two telephone numbers. One for their home, and the other for references. She copied down both numbers, and asked the young clerk if he had heard about them, to which he replied " Oh yeah. They are very reliable and price you fair. They're colored, good Christians, and helped my brother with his sump pump after the last flood."

That was all she needed to hear, because it would be essential to have help when emergencies arose, and a sump pump was going to be a "must have" if the rain patterns kept bringing floods. The Blundon house basement had only leaked a bit during the last major flood in Riverdale Park. There was no telling when Farleigh might be staying again for a few days if he could summon up the courage to share his latest hallucinations with doctor Sullivan.  


© 2018 Edwina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on January 15, 2018
Last Updated on January 15, 2018

The House On Oglethorpe Street


Author

Edwina
Edwina

Dolan Springs, AZ



About
I live in the desert, and write. I had been doing poetry, but recently decided to write a novel. It gives me a whole new place to hang out, so to speak. more..

Writing
Measles Measles

A Poem by Edwina


Words Words

A Chapter by Edwina