Through the mirror

Through the mirror

A Poem by Faust

I look in the mirror and what do I see?
2 wide eyes staring at me.
One skinny frame making me stand up tall.
Some girls would say I'm the ugliest of them all.
But what they truely don't see is what's beneath the layers of my skin.
They always tell me that I'm dancing with the devil and he has gifted me my sin.
I miss when we were younger, when we could look past the look.
But now my appearence is all they read, and they read it like a book.
When I was 12, I gave up on looking like a fake.
I threw away my make up, I stopped acting like a snake.
I stopped being mean and started acting my age.
And that's when I realized, in this chapter of my life it's time to flip the page.
I'm done with the expensive clothes that I never wore.
I'm done being locked away behind my door.
I'm done caring what others think of me.
Because through the shadows of their eyes, it's not really me they see.

© 2020 Faust


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very inspiring! Beautiful

Posted 4 Years Ago


A hope-full voice awaiting being heard... listening before you speak is a good start - though THINKING about what you want to say BEFORE speaking really matters too. You are "becomming" a person - and that is as it is meant to be.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sounds as though you have learned a valuable lesson. Remember it, because some people will judge you superficially regardless of your age.

Posted 4 Years Ago


but if we look even more deeply into the mirror what we will see is much more than surface looks. What we will see is the beauty within...and it is unfortunate that others can't see that.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


"Happy New Year, Emily!" 😃

Ah, my first read of yours and for the new year, and what a wonderful way to begin it.
I love poetry that feels real and honest, and this feels as real and honest as it gets.
How wonderful, too, you've finally come to terms with your appearance, and have really befriended yourself … but, who's ever fully satisfied with how they look? Not me … LOL!
Of course, I don't know what you look like, but from how you speak from your poetry, to me you're so very beautiful in your heart and soul, and that's what matters most to those of any real depth.
The You in your poem, I adore. : )

Hey, Rhyming Couplets is one of my favorite forms to read, and you've done an exemplary job with yours in perfect rhymes, great emotional expression, vivid imagery, and in getting your valuable lesson across, "If you want to be okay, be okay with yourself first, and quit being shallow and superficial in what you care about!"
It sounds like you're very mature and wise, and I'll bet when you look in that mirror you see a very happy and lovely person looking back.

We gotta be ourselves, eh, Dear Emily?
Love your poem and the spirit of your heart … big hug! ⁓ Richard 🍃

Posted 4 Years Ago


Faust

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much Richard! I really enjoyed reading this review and it brought a smile to my faceread more
Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Awww, it was my joy!
How happy that makes me feel, Faust.
Come see me and enjoy a rea.. read more
to say that I love every last drop of these lines Is an understatement! this went very well with my coffee this morning yum:) I beg and I plead that you never change let them love you for who you are not anything else and while your at it... keep loving yourself it looks really good on you!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Faust

4 Years Ago

Thanks you so much!

Happy new year!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 1, 2020
Last Updated on January 1, 2020

Author

Faust
Faust

Sun Prairie, WI



About
I'm back! I don't think anyone noticed that I closed my account for a short time though lol. Basically my sister was messing with my computer and it screwed up my account more..

Writing
This year This year

A Story by Faust


$20 $20

A Story by Faust



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Take Me ~ Take Me ~

A Poem by Susan 🦋


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic