$20

$20

A Story by Faust

I know it's cliche, but in this day and age, in this time,it's something that needs to be said on repeat. "Actions speak louder than words." It's something that is heard on the street, in a fight, in your home, at any given moment or time. It may not be said with words, but that quote is so well known, it doesn't even need to be said. 
The police and those in authority are trying to stop the protests. They're always sorry. The police are always sorry. And I know they are. Because it takes one, maybe two, individuals to build up these barriers that separate the police and the public. Because as long as they have that badge, that uniform, those weapons, they aren't people. They have a job to do, but the job is not always done correctly. 
These men and women are meant to enforce the law. Not become the law. They aren't supposed to kill an innocent man just because of the color of his skin. They aren't supposed to separate a little girl and a father for 20 freaking dollars. A life is worth more than that. 
I want to trust the police. I really really do. But every time I look at the news, I find that another black man has died needlessly. Every time I check in on the school group chat, I find that another student, a friend, was stopped on his way home from work because he looked 'suspicious'. Yeah, he's only suspicious because you want him to be suspicious. The only 'suspicious'thing about him is he's black.He has his hood up, is air pods in, he's reaching into his pocket to grab his phone, and that makes him suspicious. Meanwhile, across the street,  a white person is doing the exact same thing. But that's fine?
I just don't get it and I'm frustrated for them, because it's not fun looking over your shoulder 24/7 in your own neighborhood, on your own property. I'm mad. I'm upset. And I'm not even involved, so I can't tell you how these people must feel. 

People say "oh, I'm not racist. I have a friend who's black." And you may not be racist, but the fact that you have to mention your black friend, means that you can't look past the color of their skin. 
I'm waiting for a day where we can all hold hands. Where a black man can hold hands with a white woman and not have to worry about random people on the street  checking in with the woman to see if she's okay, if she needs help. It's happened. It's still happening. And it will continue to happen if we don't stand together and love. Because we're all deserving of love. It doesn't matter of your race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation. We all deserve to live and go home to our families at the end of the day. Not 6 feet under for $20. 
That man will never live again. You don't realize how precious a life is until it's gone. There's no waking up. One minute they're there, the next...they're not. $20 isn't going to bring him back. $20 isn't going to help his family grieve. $20 will remain in someone's pocket until they decide that $20 isn't worth much. Not as much as George Floyd did...

© 2020 Faust


Author's Note

Faust
I'm sorry for any mistakes in this writing, but I'm not sorry for posting it. I hope you all are staying well <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You’re were just expressing your feelings there’s nothing wrong with that.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 14, 2020
Last Updated on June 14, 2020

Author

Faust
Faust

Sun Prairie, WI



About
I'm back! I don't think anyone noticed that I closed my account for a short time though lol. Basically my sister was messing with my computer and it screwed up my account more..

Writing
This year This year

A Story by Faust


'special' 'special'

A Poem by Faust