A Reflection On A Body In Space

A Reflection On A Body In Space

A Story by Alexander Emberson
"

Space is the place.

"
What did it for me was when a frozen bloated body tumbled across the airtight ballistic glass of my cockpit. The debris field I was flying through was thick and full of broken burning ships of all sizes and classes. When I went out in search of escape pods I was faced with the realization of how harsh space can be, but more importantly, how harsh war can be.
            As the body of a man that looked to be in his mid to late 20’s smacked into and over my ship I couldn't help but think of how close I’d come to his reality. There had been several occasions when I thought for sure I was going to die, and prepared myself for the fate I was dealt; but death never came for me, instead a hell I never thought could exist above ground and in the realm of where Heavenly beings were supposed to dwell became a  new envisionment of hell. Though, I like to believe what Mephistopheles said to Faustus, that hell is everywhere.
            I hadn't found any escape pods or survivors. I called into my command ship and told them to bring in the salvagers because that was all we were going to get on this trip: salvage. Combat in space has a weird way of leaving only torn metal and burnt circuits. I want to believe it’s because the fun in firing cannons and torpedoes makes it easy to kill and leave no one spared. I’ll be honest and say that I appreciate the soft vibrations my heavy gatlings make like when a large bus or truck rumbles past you on the sidewalk. It boils down to instinct. If you want to survive… you have to be the first one to pull the trigger.

© 2012 Alexander Emberson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

HATE IT

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very tight and crisp writing, sounds like a heck of a SciFi story.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2012
Last Updated on October 11, 2012
Tags: Space, colonization, war, love, death, terraforming, Earth, Mars, Guns, Cruisers, Frigates, fighting, conflict, dogs, cats, pets, animals, cars

Author

Alexander Emberson
Alexander Emberson

Saint Louis, MO



About
I'm the editor in chief over at the literary magazine, Wednesday Night Writes. We're always accepting submissions, so get on it. https://sites.google.com/site/wednesdaynightwrites/ My work can n.. more..

Writing